New Hard Drive with no IDE attachment

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

frobro

So I ordered a 120 GB Seagate Hard Drive off of Ebay for a late xmas present. It arrived today and to my suprise, it does not hook up though an IDE cable, my hard drive is pretty much stone age so im wondering if this is the new way they make these. Please help im in need of some more space.

frobro

bottom and no idea how to hook it up, is it relative easy to walk through or am I in for a visit with local tech support?

You got a SATA (serial ATA) hard drive, not a regular IDE hard drive. In a way these are the new thing, the cables compare like this:

The red one is the SATA cable. Tell me your motherboard model and manufacture, maybe you have a connector.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
If you want to use it, you will need to buy a SATA controller that plugs into one of your motherboards PCI slots.

frobro

ok, the motherboard was a barebones i bought a year ago, umm the chip is a VT8235, the only problem is that i cant get my computer up and running without installing windows xp again(trial ran out =P)...on the motherboard though it says ATA133 and under it USB 2.0. So im thinking it could be compatible, and also how much do one of the converters go for?

edit: also im pretty sure barebones isnt the model or manufacturer, but maybe itll help.

Hey Frobro. You don't play Counterstrike Source do you? Anyway i researched your chipset. It does not include SATA support. This doesn't mean that your motherboard doesn't have on-board SATA already.

I post this as an example:http://www.directron.com/satcon.html. I don't know about ordering from this company. I trust newegg though.

frobro

I do have source and played for a bit, never really got into it, anyway im seeing that the prices for these bad boys are over $60, when i can go to comp USA and get a 120 GB for around the same price. I'm wondering if there are any cheap ones out there, or if i should just try to resell it on ebay and go for a IDE hard drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online