1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive won't accept software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brookyjoann, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brookyjoann

brookyjoann Thread Starter

:confused:

My Hewlett-Packard is currently in the shop because the hard drive crashed (7 month old computer still under warranty). I just received a call telling me it will be a while longer because the new hard drive won't accept any software. My husband took the call and he says they have to get another 'part'. Don't know what it could be and am wondering if anyone here might have an idea what might be going on? It's a H-P 304w and was running Windows XP when it crashed. Thanks for any clues.

Please send replies to this e-mail:
    [email protected]

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I believe the shop was trying to move your old software to a new drive and windows XP decided to play the de-activation card on them. Blame microsoft..

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect they're simply confused, since they can make an 800 call and activate the system. It's difficult to know exactly what they're talking about without actually knowing more details.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well if the drive "won't accept any software" its either broken too or their trying to fix the wrong part and the problem is somewhere else.

5. brookyjoann

So glad to hear replies so soon. One e-mail I received suggested something to do with eide connection to the motherboard. Any reaction to this possibility?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    yes, thats a possibility. Your old harddrive supposedly crashed but now theres problem with the new hard drive...maybe it wasn't the drive at all? It could be the IDE cable, but it takes 5 seconds to replace and to try reinstalling or ghosting. Could be the motherboard or powersupply or RAM. Its a guessing game for us.

Of course what they might actually mean is that they can't copy your old data off the other drive, your post however suggests something else.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you took the machine to the wrong people! :rolleyes:

8. brookyjoann

Well, it took them a little while to decide, but they are getting me a brand new computer. Seems there were multiple problems, including the processor. It was Hewlett-Packard's authorized repair people and since it was still on the warranty, I didn't have any choice as to where to send it and not have to pay anything - let alone violating the warranty. I'm sure they were doing anything possible to avoid replacing the entire unit and that' why it took them so long, but, what the heck. For a new computer, I can wait.

Thanks for everyone's help.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Replacing a complete HP/Compaq computer is indeed cheaper then truobleshooting it. Plus, if its HP they can troubleshoot it once the exchange is done.

10. brookyjoann

Thanks for all the ideas. Finally got my computer back today. Turns out not only the hard drive went bad, but the mother board as well.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice