1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new hard drive won't boot with cd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chipmonk, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

I installed a new hard drive( wd400 eb) in a HP Pavilion a 300 n. I am trying to boot from win.XP Pro.disk. The keyboard dosen't light up and monitor shuts down. The cd seems to be running but I get nowhere close to getting to set up. how do I check the mother board to see if it's shot too, or what else could be the problem.
    Any help appreciated
    Mrs. chipmonk

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Do you mean you have put a new Hard drive in and what to install XP Pro on it..........does this PC have any other Hard drives installed?

3. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

no, there are no other hard drives in, and I want to use the xp cd to format and install windows. As you can tell, I'm no genius with thses computers.

4. Megabite

Megabite

When you start the PC does anything come up on the screen at first?

5. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

no, the only thing that comes up is the monitor logo and the it goes off. there have been a few times It opened for a second or two, long enough to press F2, and the press any key, but then went off

6. Megabite

Megabite

What does the XP pro disc say on it......are you sure it is bootable?

Does F2 give you the option to choose what to boot from?

If you take the disc out does it do the same?

7. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

yes,the cd is bootable, when I turn it on, the power lights up, so I know thats ok, the cd bay seems to be turning. I changed monitor and keyboards,so I at least was able to open with F2 but it didn't stay on long enough to get to the hit any key because the letter keys are not working.
    can I hook this new HD to the slave of another computer and load it from there and the put in in the HP?

8. Megabite

Megabite

No that won't work.........what problem did you have to have to install a new hard drive?

9. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

it is my daugh. pc. I think she just over loaded it and didn't keep it cleaned. The hard drive was clicking . I got it running long enough to run System Mechanic on it and clean out hundreds of files etc. On reboot it just would not re boot and the clicking noise was louder.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Understand........this is a desktop PC?

and if you take the Hard drive out and try starting the PC what happens ...the same?

11. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

12. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

I haven't tried to start it w/o the hd. sorry I missed that ?

13. Megabite

Megabite

Try that and let us know the results......was the new HDD the same connections....as in Sata /IDE?

14. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

yes, it is exactly the same as the HD that was in it, and hooked back ex.the same.--- I'll try that and get back to you. This is my first post so I hope I can find my way back to here. Thanks a million!

15. chipmonk

chipmonk Thread Starter

unhooking the hard drive, all is the same,it poweres up ,the monitor screen says it is working. The cd bay doesn't open, it will open after the lights totally guit blinking( that is the same as it does w/ the HD) in .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice