1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Isaiah4031, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Isaiah4031

Isaiah4031 Thread Starter

I have an old computer running on Windows 2000 and have 2 hard drives now. The main drive is called the D drive and the one I added on was labelled as the C drive. D drive is 3Gb and C drive is 18-19Gb. I have all my windows programs stored on the D drive for now. The problem is that when I try to save things (download) that it really doesn't recognize the new C drive. It just says that I am out of hard drive space. The system recognizes the C drive as installed and working properly though. I tried to manually tell the computer to save a program to the C drive and it worked but says that the program isn't a valid WIN32 program but it works on the smaller D drive. Is the C drive lacking something or should I just transfer everything to the C drive. I tried transferring but I don't really know how to transfer everything on the D drive to the new C drive. Can anyone help?

2. sponsor

sponsor

The main hard drive is meant to be C. even if you lable it as D I do not think that the system will think that way.

3. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

i know it sounds strange but i have my windows and crap D and windows picks up d as main for some crazy reason it was a ccident i made 2 partitions D and C i wanted C to be small and have windows and D to be big and progs and stuff but it was oppiste which sucks.

4. chanakyakul

chanakyakul

could you plz tell what file system are you using on both the hard drives. becoz if you are using FAT32 on on drive and NTFS on another then i doubt if it will work.

5. Isaiah4031

Isaiah4031 Thread Starter

Yeah the D drive (main drive with the windows programs and 3Gb) is FAT32 and the C Drive is NTFS

Is that the problem? and if so how can I remedy this?

6. chanakyakul

chanakyakul

as i had thought. as i see it the only solution to this problem is to reformat the drive that has its file system as NTFS and set it up as FAT32. does this solve the problem? if yes do respond.
    -Chanakyakul

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice