New Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bmg

Hi, I am replacing my 40GB hard drive (which failed) and replacing it with a new one (160GB). I was wondering if there were any other installation steps besides removing the the old one and putting the cables etc. that used to be plugged into it, into the new one, and then installing windows. Any help would be appreciated.

Some BIOS will not "see" a drive over 127Gig . . how new is your system? You can get around that by creating a small ( 8 to 12 Gig) partition for XP and applicatons, then use the rest for data and storage.

The installaion of XP will allow you to do this. I usually wait to create the larger partition and format it after XP is installed.

Set the jumpers the same as the drive you take out and it should work ok

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Check the jumpers on the back end of the drive to make sure they're set for Master. The should be a label pasted on top of the drive showing the jumper settings.

You can also download format/partition software from the HD's maufacturer's website. Be sure to get the one designed for Windows. The software can also scan the disk to check for flaws.

I recently installed a Maxtor HD. I used Maxblast 4 for windows to format and partition.

bmg

Oh, wait sorry, I meant to say 120 GB so it will be fine then right?

bmg said:
Oh, wait sorry, I meant to say 120 GB so it will be fine then right?

No, not for sure. Like Simpswr said some older bios versions don't see parts of bigger drives. If remember correctly I had a drive well below 100 Gb that wasn't correctly indexed. I only had about 80% I think. If your bios is old you may need to update anyway.
Why don't you just see what happens? Cabling will be ok if you make sure it's the same type of cabling and you jumpers are ok (like Dick said about the master/slave thing)
After the format you'll see the space available...

Cheers

/NL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online