New Hard Drive.. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xamm0x

Okay i just purchased a "Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822A-RK 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive" installed it into my computer as a slave hard drive. But it want is as my primary/master hard drive because it is much better than my old 55gb hard drive.
-When i tried installing it as my primary i got this screen that asked for my boot disk but i had no idea what they were talking about. So i read a few websites and found that i needed a boot disk or i had to make one or something. I tried doing that but i was unable to find my boot.ini file that the site said i needed. The only file i found from my search was a boot.ini.backup file.
-Right now im using it as a slave but how do i get it as my master? Should i install windows on it from a boot disk then make my old one my slave and use that as like back up/junk storage. That what i want to be able to do.

- And uhm one more thing i thought installing a new hard drive would help my computer speed because it was slowing because i had only 5 gb left on my 55gb but it feels the same even with the new hard drive in there as the slave. Even after I moved 40 gb of files into the new hard drive

The slowness is probably because your OS and the virtual memory files still reside on the first smaller drive ** drive could also be failing, thus the reason for the slowness **

Get a trial copy of Acronis True Image and backup the drive to the newer one
basically, you want to make a ghosted image of your drive and move it to your newer one.
this should allow you to boot off of the newer drive and get rid of the older one ( format it ) after that. This way, you shouldnt lose any files / documents / settings etc....

good luck
Swiper

xamm0x

Erm k
Did everything you told me.
-Cloned old hard drive to new one
-Started up computer with new drive in master and old one as a slave
But it asked for a boot disk again .. This time i put in my windows xp cd in and it went through this setup installing some files but in the end it didnt work cuz it asked if i wanted to uh fix windows or install windows on it and i didnt want all my data being erased from the new hard drive so i chose the fixing windows one. Came up to an error and didnt work.
-What now?

- One more question.. the My Documents folder on my desktop is that on my newer drive too or do i have to copy that manually onto my new one.

You haven't done what Swiper had asked you to do.
Get a trial copy of Acronis True Image and backup the drive to the newer one
That means you have to "clone" the XP from the 55Gb disk into the 200Gb disk

If you can't afford to buy a copy of the Acronis then download a Linux CD and use it to clone the XP. The steps are here

xamm0x

I downloaded the Acronis Free Trial- and i cloned it into my new drive ( F: )

When i go to my new drive (Local Disk F: ) i see the same stuff i see when i open up my old drive (Local Disk C: )

the clone was successful and the two drive's look identical.. did i do something wrong?

xamm0x

I just my hands on Norton Ghost .. if that helps at all..

it seems like the same program as acronis though.

Ghost is a competitor to Acronis.

If you use a commercial software you can clone the small disk into the large directly. If the operation is successfull you then swap the disks so that the big disk is booted first.

After running the big disk to your satisfaction for a while you can then erase the copy in the small disk and use the space for a different purpose.

xamm0x

I copied my disk to my new hard drive using Norton Ghost which took much longer ( aobut 5 hours ) when Acronis took about 1 and uhm it still didnt work. After it finished my new hard drive's total capcity was reduced to 127 gb. When i start up my computer with my new hard drive in master and the old in slave i go to the same screen asking for my boot disk. Then i tried starting my computer with my new hard drive in master and nothing in the slave and this time it went to my Verifying DMI Pool Data.... Page and then didnt do anything after that.

wtf is going on here.

You have to be aware that you can use Norton and Acronis to "backup" a system as well as to "duplicate" a system. Only the latter can be booted because in duplication you mirror the boot loader across. The boot loader resides in a boot sector and is not part of the filing system, so in a back up only the entire filing structure is copied.

The standard time I had with cloning a 200Gb disk with Norton or Linux is 2.5 hours.

xamm0x

Okay can you explain to me what i should do now or what i did wrong. I didnt back-up my disk but i cloned it .. once with acronis then i did it with norton without deleting the files that acronis already cloned because norton asked if i wanted to overwrite files already shown in the disk and i said yes.

I don't use Acronis so I can't offer tips.

Hoeverw if you clone a hard disk that means a 100% mirror image, byte by byte exact. Thus having some files already there and not touched isn't cloning. XP is known to have files that cannot be moved in position..

xamm0x

hm right now im working off this site http://www.harddriveupgrade.com/

but i got lost when trying to make a ghost boot disk - do i need one of those?
if so can i get like a step-by-step?

(Windows XP Using Norton Ghost 9.0)

Do i need to make any changes in BIOS?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online