1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kalika, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You have Award Media BIOS dated 11/23/1999

It likely will support a 40 gig drive.

One way to do it is bring it to a computer store in your area. Many in mine will install the new hard drive for free if you purchase it from them.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Be careful with local stores. Some are very good, and others are not. The information you're looking for isn't stored in some central repository for a professional to look up. They're likely going to guess whether or not it will work. If it doesn't be sure they don't charge you for anything.

If you do take your computer to someone, make sure you backup your important data since no store or tech will be responsible for any data loss during service.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or just get the drive from a company that will let you return if if the BIOS doesn't support a 40 gig drive.

4. kalika

kalika Thread Starter

I called technical support and I gave them the BIOS string ID name. He said that a 40 gig would work just fine, even an 80 gig would probably work, just definitely dont go over a 120 GIG. That wont due. He said my computer is a dinosaur.............LOL!!!!!! :)

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Great news. No guessing.

So if you are comfortable replacing the drive yourself you are on your way.

6. golferbob

golferbob

it's nothing to put one in ,just a screw driver and a little time.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It all depends on you experience. Know many people that would in now way attempt at swapping a hard drive. Tough to make assumptions on this.

8. kalika

kalika Thread Starter

I already know how. Take the side panels off the tower, unscrew and unplug the hard drive and put the other one in. Very simple.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Great so just do that and there is your new hard drive.

Do you want to copy data from the old drive to the new and have it bootable?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice