1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New harddisk question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by realgeek, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. realgeek

realgeek Thread Starter

hi
    At present I am using a hitachi 80 GB SATA hard disk.It is so insufficient so I am planning to buy Samsung 500GB SATA.Now if I add the new HD what would happen to the previous one?(80 GB hitachi).Will it remain or replaced by the new one?Let it is possible to add the new one with old one(80+500=580) then reinstalling the operating system(xp sp3) is reqired?

2. realgeek

realgeek Thread Starter

Same question for ram and graphics card,If I add new ram and graphics card re-installation of operating system required?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You do not need to re-install your OS to upgrade your RAM or Video Card.

As far as a new HD, you could image the old drive to the new drive. This way you would not have to re-install the OS.

4. realgeek

realgeek Thread Starter

thanks for your reply.So it is not possible to join them both and making it 580? :)

5. lewmur

lewmur

If your MB supports raid, you could combine them as one virtual drive, but I wouldn't advise it. If you do so, failure of either drive will cause loss of data from both. Better to leave them as separate drives. In fact, I would use clonezilla to image the old drive to the new one and then keep the old one as a backup.

6. storage_man

storage_man

But if you keep the old drive, you would have and equivalent of 580gb in 2 drives.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may be possible to do a hardware raid/jbod or possible to use software raid and span the volume across both disks.

Now with that said, what is possible is not necessarily smart; in this case it would definitely NOT be smart.

Clone your old drive to the new drive. Once done, you can connect your old drive as storage however with the price of hard drives so cheap now, it makes little sense to use an old 80gig drive. I would buy a modern WD drive w/32meg cache for storage.

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

There is no problem with having both hard drives in the system, so long as there is room in the box to mount the new hard drive.

You then will not have to reload the OS or even image it to the new drive. Just move the My Documents folder to the new drive, and keep on truckin'.

You might also create a new Program Files folder on the new HD, then any future packages you install could be placed in that folder, thus you would no longer be filling your old drive.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

1 This supposes that the my docs folder is what is taking up most of the disk space. This is unknown from the posts.
    2 Why continue to use an old slow drive for the os when you are buying a new modern drive? Modern hard disk performance has made quite an improvement in the last few years. It makes little sense to continue to use the slow drive for the os and use the fast modern drive for storage. Use the modern drive for the os, etc and if you still want the old drive, use it for storage, backups, etc where its slow speed is not going to matter.

10. Anurag_Anmol

Anurag_Anmol

First have both drives then copy EVERYTHING from the old drive to the new drive and then take out the old hard-drive and then hammer it :D lol then you will have much more space and still same settings and stuff :p Just install the new hard-drive's drivers when you have both hard-drives installed otherwise the new one might not work ;)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is incorrect. You cannot copy files from the working drive to the new drive and think it is going to work. You must do one of two things;
    1 Clone the drive using something like acronis true image or the drive maker's utility for cloning drives.
    2 Alternate method. Make an image of the existing drive. Now restore the image to the new drive. Using this method, you must resize the partition on the new drive to use the unallocated space beyond the existing 80gig image.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice