1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New harddrive and not working...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by *ne0n*, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *ne0n*

*ne0n* Thread Starter

OK, so I just bulit a completely new computer from newegg.com. 2400+ AMD Athlon XP, Soyo Dragon Motherboard, 1024 gigs of RAM, and a new 160 gig hard drive. I don't have a version of Windows on CD, but I had it on my 10 gig hard drive that I had on my old computer, so I put that in as well so I'd have an OS. It boots off the 10 gig, but when I want to install something onto the 160 gig, it's like Windows doesn't register it. I used this program called Belarc Advisor and it says the computer reads it. I don't know how to mess with the BIOS or the Primary/Slave settings on the actual drive, so can someone please help. Thanks in advance.

2. Peter_Brown

Peter_Brown

what version of windows are you using??
    Does disk administrator see the drive, it has not been partitioned and is unusable until its formatted NTFS or FAT

First remove the drives and look at the jumpers, diagrams are almost always on the drive themselves, you want in the final analysis, Primary Master and a primary slave on the same IDE channel. Look at the jumper and the 10 gig is all set, look at the 160 and change it to primary slave.

3. Peter_Brown

Peter_Brown

if Belarc advisor sees the drive, when you boot up, read what is being assigned, the first will be your ten gig, then you should see the remainder of your devices e.g. CDROM, Additional hard drive.

If you see these at boot up then the drive is there and needs to be formatted, do so from control panel/Administrative tools...well again, without knowing what operating system you are using I cannot accurately tell you where to go

Reply wont you and we can get the big drive up and running

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Right Click on My Computer, select Manage. When the Computer Management Console opens, select Disk Manager. You can locate the drive there and partition and format it.

5. *ne0n*

*ne0n* Thread Starter

I have Windows XP. When I got to partition it, it says that it only has 31.1 gigs worth of space on it...?

6. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi *neOn*. Recheck the jumper config. Sounds lik u might have a jumper place across the 2 pins for the "cylinder limitation" setting, by accident. This will cause you to read only bout 32 Gigs.

7. *ne0n*

*ne0n* Thread Starter

I've got the hard drive with the Windows files set as master, that's a Western Digital hard drive. Then I have the hard drive that's supposed to be 160 gigs set as slave. The master is at the end of the IDE cable, and the slave is in the middle, and the other plugged into the motherboard. Is there something I have to check in the BIOS???

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Many AWARD bios had a bug that limited to about this size. See if there is an update for your machine

9. *ne0n*

*ne0n* Thread Starter

This is a brand new box. I'm pretty sure the BIOS would be updated though. Soyo Dragon KT333 Plus.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look for a capacity limitation jumper on the disk drive.

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

Also which service pack do you have on XP?

Earlier versions of XP did have major issues with drives above 128gb on some systems.

Also did you have the WD installation disk partition/format the drive or did you try with XP itself?

Cheers

12. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--How'd you make out with chekin the 160Gb to see if the capacity
    limitation jumper on the bak of the hard disk was set to that position ? As I previously had stated, 'that will/can cause you to read only 32G', if u are set to jumping those 2 pins together accidentally.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice