1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New harddrive giving problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wizurdy, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wizurdy

Wizurdy Thread Starter

just put a new 7200rpm 120g hard drive on my existing fully functional machine (933 processor, 512mb ram) hard drive was bare, just started machine with windows xp pro and started moving along, was so easy felt like it was working alone.. no bootup disks or dos screens...... so after asking if i wanted to format and install i clicked yes and it was about 15% through the format when i left the machine........when i came back from going out i have a blue screen message stating windows has a problem (possible virus/connection error) with a

stop:eek:x0000007b (0xf894d640, 0xc0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000)

at the end of the message..... i can get into bios and the drive is recognized.... and i can hit f8 and get to the boot screan asking which operating system i want to boot and if i hit f8 again i get a list of choices under the advanced options menu, but that is it.....if i let the computer boot in any setting of just a natural boot i will get that same message as above......... what can i do??

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

3. Mustnged

Mustnged

if it stopped at 15% into the format, it is possible your hard drive needs to be checked for errors. If it is a Western Digital, download DLDIAG.EXE from their website and run the test on your hard drive. If it is Maxtor, get POWERMAX. Seagate=Seatools.
    These utility programs sometimes successfully repair hard drive problems.

4. Wizurdy

Wizurdy Thread Starter

im not saying it stopped at 15%, thats just what i last viewed it at before leaving to get some stuff done........ its an IBM drive.... well i guess thats now considered hitachi since they sold out..... and sexy thanks for that link....... it was for NT platform but i quickly found the xp........ which has different instructions, but i really dont understand half of it since there are about 10 different reasons this could be occuring according to the tutorial......... i feel helpless here..... isnt there a way for me to get into DOS or get a promt or anything?

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

Did this new drive replace an existing drive? If so, I'm thinking, if the former drive is functional (i.e., OS), why not put the old drive back in as master and new drive as slave, then you can at least have a functional pc while you check out and debug the new drive.

This sounds too simple, so I'm sure something is probably wrong with the original drive, right? :)

6. Wizurdy

Wizurdy Thread Starter

there shouldnt be........ ill try it........ the only reason i havent is because i have another operational computer to get online with and i didnt think just making it a slave would help at this point...... ill try though

7. Seth

Seth

ok, i am actually using the computer with the old 10 gig drive the master and the 120 the slave........... after doing so the only thing on the new drive was a windows folder which i have now deleted........... i may keep this config for a while........... but what should i do when i want to make the 120 the master how do i go about debugging it from where im at now

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

Here's the link to download the hitaci harddisk diagnostic disk.

drive fitness test v3.40

I recommend doing a full low level format.

Good luck!
    rockinmale:cool:

9. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hey wizurdy, seth, or whoever you are. Well 120GB is a HUGH drive. IMO, I would use fdisk to partition it and put the OS, dives, etc. on a 5-10 GB partition, then make other partitions as you like for games, music, video, whatever you like. Then switch jumpers to make the new drive the master and old the slave and then use the 10GB for important back-ups, separate from the main drive. If you have an application like Norton Ghost, you can make an image of your C: partition and save on the old drive as a back-up.

http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,47370,00.asp

:)

10. Seth

Seth

thanks for all the good input and advice everyone!!

11. buckaroo

buckaroo

You're welcome! :cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/122125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice