1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new harddrive install problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g&scomp, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g&scomp

g&scomp Thread Starter

My HP Pavillion 750n harddrive crashed and burned. I purchased a new maxtor 40gb hd. I left the old drive in as a slave (hoping I can pull off the kids files), though the smartdrv says its bad. I couldn't start the computer without this drive installed. The computer recognizes the new maxtor drive.

I couldn't find my XP Pro CD to boot from so I tried my old Win2k CD, didn't work, went to bootdisk.com and got win2k bookdisks, it worked until it got to disk 4 and then said a file was corrupted and had to start over. Tried again, got to disk 2 and found another corrupted file. (I created 4 new disks and tried again to no avail)

Found my XP Pro CD and booted, it started and then stopped on diskmgr file and said it was corrupted. Can't boot again. I have to wait a very long time to start the computer again before it will get to the bios screen. It starts, hits the cds and stops, no screen, just an orange light at the power button, if I put a boot cd in, same thing happens but I get orange light at cd. I have to wait for about 20 minutes or more to start it so I can get a screen.

UGH! hard drives and bios stuff is not my area, I am a software IS gal. Get it loaded and I know what to do. But this is driving me insane!

Suggestions? Thanks. J

2. rrlr420

rrlr420

i would take the old drive out of the system, if you are going to use xp set the new drive to cable select and do a fresh install. once you are up and running try playing with the old drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/406778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice