New Hardware found? I can't get this message to stop!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

msonberg

I installed a wireless pci card a while back in my desktop in addition to the onboard networking card. Since then, I've been randomly losing my internet connection. The only way I've been able to get it back is by restarting my pc. So I'm assuming there's some kind of conflict between the two networking cards. I tried uninstalling the wireless card and shutting down and physically removing it, but when I restart it tells me that it "found new hardware". What's the deal? How can I move on from this?

dustyjay

Jay
go to device manager, remove any instance of hardware listed with a question mark or exclaimation mark. Restart your computer. see what comes back to haunt you. If nothing comes back the problem is solved. If something comes back check device manager again, and see if it is looking for a driver for a device that is still installed. If so try to locate the driver requested. it may be something on your motherboard drivers disc.

if you uninstall the drivers, of corse it is going to give you the found new hardware message.. lol

you are probably losing your wireless connection because of windows. windows XP includes a program called Zero Configuration Wireless..AND IT SUCKS!, it works well at finding and automatically connecting to the wireless source, but it sucks at keeping it connected. The ZCW constantly tries to find a stronger signal from an alternate source, regaurdless of how good your current signal is.

as far as i know microsoft has not made a fix for this, but lucky for you it it easily fixed, open up a blank notepad document. Type 3 separate lines exactly as i've written them below:

@echo off
net stop WZCSVC
@echo on

once you have those 3 lines typed, save the file to your desktop as stop.bat

once you boot your machine up, let it establish the wireless connection, then double click on the stop.bat program that you just created, this will disable the windows zero configuration wireless program and keep you from losing your connection

P.S. - if you wish, you may make another file called start.bat, same thing, just replace the "stop" with "start" and this file will turn it back on in case you ever need it again, you won;t have to reboot your machine.

Hope this helps.:)

msonberg

Well, I'm never using the wireless card, so I don't think that it's the Win XP problem. I'm thinkin it might be more along these lines:

"If something comes back check device manager again, and see if it is looking for a driver for a device that is still installed. If so try to locate the driver requested. it may be something on your motherboard drivers disc."

This is what happens even if I remove the pci card and reboot. So now the question is, how can I nail down what device it's finding at startup? The driver is referred to as an ethernet controller (that's why I was assuming that it had to do with the wireless card). Is there a way to get more specific than just "ethernet controller"?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I believe the PCMCIA card usually needs a cardbus controller. That sounds more like it's referring to the onboard ethernet.

msonberg

Well, what does that mean then? What do I need to do in order to get past this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online