1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hardware Found in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by janetkilleen, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janetkilleen

janetkilleen Thread Starter

I have 1 CDRW, 1 DVD player and 1 USB portable DVD/RW. Each of these works perfectly in windows XP. Ever since I installed the XP, every time I boot it finds each of these devices and I have to cancel the wizard. Many times I have allowed the wizard to go through it's paces alowing it to search everywhere for suitable drivers and checking the box to say don't remind me again, but without fail, next time I reboot, I have to cancel three wizards.
    When I look in the device manager it has found all 3, they are all working properly and have been recognised correctly.

Why does it want to install drivers for CD devices anyway? and why can't it see that they are all properly installed and are working fine?

Does anyone know how to stop this happening on every re-boot?

Please help

2. neosage

neosage

I presume at some point that you didn't cancel the wizard? and let it go through the motions of installing the hardware?

3. janetkilleen

janetkilleen Thread Starter

Yes I have probably let it go through the whole process about 25 times or so but it says that it couldn't locate a driver, I even let it access the internet quite a few times and still the same result.

4. neosage

neosage

...and you're absolutely sure it's those drivers it's trying find, and not some others? Are there any yellow exclamation marks in your device manager?

Have you reformatted your hard drive recently, and omitted to reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers?

Did you do an XP install over an existing OS, or start the XP installation from scratch with a delete partition? If the former it might be that the optical drives are still using the old OS drivers, rather than new XP ones.

First I think I'd try to remove the old drivers, by uninstalling each of the disk drives from the device manager and rebooting (try one at a time). When it reboots it should then install the generic drivers used by XP. It might be useful to have the XP disk in the (not removed) bay and include that in the search.

As a very last resort I'd suggest installing XP again, only this time when it lists the partition, select D to delete the partition (and everything on your hard drive) which will prompt a disk format. Then install the chipset drivers from your motherboard driver disk. Bit drastic though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!