New hardware found on every reboot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andrewpmoore

Hi
I've been running vista on an old motherboard fine (until there was a hardware fault)
I used this oppertunity to upgrade my system to a new Core2Duo system.

I installed vista home premium, and it found all the drivers for everything and it all works ok.

It also works fine if I reboot the machine. The problem comes if I swith off the machine and back on again.

Every time it finds loads of new hardware (all previously installed and working hardware)
Device manager shows no problems.

The new hardware list is really long. It's got my tv tuners (usb and pci) usb hub on the motherboard, integrated sound card from the motherboard.

I really don't understand why this is happening, but it's really annoying especially with the tuner cards as I have to set them up again each time in media center. (all other devices just automatically install again without me doing anything)

Anyone got any ideas, it's driving me insane!

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to uninstall ALL the duplicated hardware in Device Manager, including the working stuff. Then when you reboot, it should only find the one copy of the hardware.

Mine does that with my printer also. I have copy 1, 2, 3 etc of the driver and only the most recent number works. I also cannot uninstall the old copies as it says they are gone from control panel, but still show up when selecting a printer in software.

Shades of 98. Best I can say is MS has gone overboard in locking the hardware into the os/activation.
What motherboard? Is there a bios update? http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/575949-cant-remove-second-video-card.html
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/589606-audigy-2-vista-problem.html
It doesn't surprise me it's related to hardware that relates to drm content.
I'd be looking for bios updates, which have been as scarce a hen's teeth since the vista release.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=vista...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a Or changing bios settings on the mobo.
As far as printers go, I suspect it's a different issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online