New hardware found & sound driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stu37

I just installed a video driver for this computer, which a nice person here found for me, anyways when i startup or reboot now it says found new hardware and do you want to install. I already have it the video driver, so what i want to know is how to get rid of this every time it boots up. I know it's easy but i forgot. also i have a sound card driver in a floppy i downloaded, but i think it's shows in dos in a zip. how do i download it? And i got a couple exclamation point conflicks also in the device manager. I has win98. I just got an older TriGem and trying to redo it. It has 16 mb ram now and how much can i add not knowing all the specs, 128 or 256 ok?
Thanks

Ps Haven't installed AIDA32 in it yet

Have you installed the drivers and yet it is asking for them at every bootup?

Try uninstalling it in Safe Mode (Hit Control or F8 at Boot) and them reinstalling it when it asks.

Delete everything which was showing conflict, ´cause then, windows will try to reinstall everything that is needed.

About the memory, I do not know!

Hope that help

stu37

i am wondering if i do it that way though will i lose the driver again. I really don't want to install it again as it seemed hard enough to get it working in the first place. It shows the new hardware 3 times, "OPTiAudio 16" after it boots up and i cancel the 3 times to get booted up, which gets old. Also the 2 conflicts on device manager that shows exclamation points are the "standard IDE/ESDI hard disk Controller" under hard disk controllers, and the Communications Port" under Ports (COM & LPT). how do i get rid of these conflicts? Anyone know?
Thanks

Yes, you'll have to let your current drivers go and then, install 'em all again. It can sound a bit difficult to do, but it itsn't and will prove worthy, if it works.

Get into windows Safe Mode, by hitting the F8 key (try F5 and Control too, as I don't recall safely now which one works), then, in Safe Mode, go into the Device Controller screen (you can press the "window key" if you have it + "Pause/Break").

There you can search/find all your devices, which had conflict... They'll show with the exclamation marks. Delete 'em all. Reboot and let windows start normally.

Windows will probably install the IDE and Ports controllers with the Windows cd disk, have it at hand.

Then, it will ask for the video driver, I guess. When prompted, choose the "Have disk" option and point to where your driver files are. If necessary leave them in a temporary folder.

If windows doesn't ask for the video driver, go back to Safe Mode and delete all devices under "video adapter" tab. Try again!

stu37

Thanks, i will do that when and if i get the thing going again. I added 2 used 32 MB memory cards, as it only had 4-4MB cards and was very slow. Anyways after i done that there was no video on the screen so i put back originals and still nothing. It powered up the HDD and all but no video. Checked all the ribbons and connectors and seemed fine, but now when i turn it on nothing. The cooler fan spins about 2 revolutions and nothing, no beeps, no lights. It was a computer i am learning on, but this has me really puzzled, maybe the power supply. Even when it powered up earlier and no video there were no bios beeps. Originally there was 1 beep.

stu37

no, the only thing i notice is cooling fan makes about 2 revolutions and no lights or anything

Hm... Do you / or did you ever smell something burnt out? Maybe, it´s the energy font. The fan functions because it gets some energy, then it wears out.

Try to smell the font (that part at the rear of the computer, where you plug the energy) just after you try to turn it on, and also check to hear it´s fan (it´s usually have one). Anything of those, means you have a burnt font.

Probably it´s it... I am not sure if it could be anything else.

stu37

ok, as far as i can tell i didn't smell anything but it sure sounds like it. Now what would that involve repairing? Not sure i've heard of that. I will have time tomorrow and will check it out some more. Thanks

Yeah... usually people won´t repair the font, they go and buy a new one instead, it is usually cheap. Just make sure you check and buy one of the same voltage.

To disconect and install a new one, is a simple task, just unplug the energy plug, screw out the font and put back the new one.

stu37

Well i put in my other power supply and no change the cooling fan turns a cycle or 2 and stops. spometimes after i turn it off then it will spin a turn. i don't know. stumped.

stu37

One more thing. Is there a sequence on installing memory cards? Are 2 of same side by side and other 2 of same side by side? Or is it every other one? I haven't checked on that.

:) If this happened after switching the memory modules then you probably need to clear the CMOS either by removing the battery for a few minutes or using the jumper if you can locate the correct one. While the computer is off, remove then reinsert the original memory modules and make sure they are seated correctly.

Be sure to go into the CMOS (BIOS) setup and reset the time and other necessary settings after clearing the CMOS.

Kilowatt

stu37

thanks, now i added another hard drive they are both on same ribbon. is that ok, and yes it is running now, but how do i set up the bios can't get anything to run yet it starts with 2 beep and then it was a steady beep. I shut it down and now i am in bios. Need it setup i guess, because it wasn't finding the drives. Any help appreciated. it is an older American Megatrends

I can't be of much more help now... I haven't yet that experience with BIOS and CMOS... Have you tried to reset it? I'm not sure how it is done, but if it is what you need to do, you'll loose all your current configuration, so don't bother trying to control it now, if you'll do it.

But you can try installing the drives manually on the BIOS... just check the headers, sections and all stuff from the HD and feed it manually on the BIOS (if the autodetect doesn't work). Maybe, also, as your mobo is old, it may not support new big drives. Check with the manufacturer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online