1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Hardware Found w2k

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momotrips, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momotrips

momotrips Thread Starter

My computer was working fine until a few days ago when the networking function stopped working. It will not connect to the outside world. I also now have an "Unknown" icon with the big yellow questionmark showing up and "Found New Hardware" window pops up on startup. This is after I have disconnected everything from the computer. The computer type is a Sony PCG-F180 (notebook). How can I figure out what this "New Hardware" is so I can load the proper drivers if that is what it takes?:(

2. momotrips

momotrips Thread Starter

Further information on this problem:

After the question mark it indicates "This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)". This comes from the "Add/Remove Hardware Wizard" after highlighting the question marked driver and clicking next... I cannot figure out the hardware associated with this problem. Again, everything is disconnected (including docking station and PCMCIA card). It keeps detecting something that it does not have a driver for.

3. aubry

aubry

can you remove all devices in safe mode as you can in win9x ?

if you can, why not remove all devices in device manager and let the o/s redetect all devices again.

it might resolve the unknown device

4. perseous

perseous

Also you can go into the device manager and just diable it and it will not show up again. I just had the same problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!