1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New hardware install problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BCgreen, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

I want to install a external hard drive to my desktop computer. I am running WinXp with service pack 3. The first time I tried to install this hard drive I got this Microsoft message saying basically that this device has not been thoroughly tested and they don't recommend installing. So I canceled the install. When I found out that it is a common message and that I should just go ahead with the install, I could no longer get the computer to recognize that I have new hardware to install. This is a Western Digital External Hard drive 1 TB.
    What is interesting with this new install, is that when I disconnect the USB cable from the back of the PC I get one ding. When I reconnect it I get two dings. I don't know what this means, but I know that whenever I have tried to install new hardware in the past, I usually get one ding and a message on the monitor, that new hardware has been detected.
    Since I cannot proceed with the install I will get another WD drive and go ahead and install and ignore the warning from MS, so I can complete the install.

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You likely just need to go to Device Manager and remove/uninstall the devices with an error(yellow exclamation mark), then disconnect the drive and reconnect it to continue to the install.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

It sounds like the enclosure adapter is defective. Normally, Windows should find the device, identify it as "found new hardware, mass storage device" or something to that affect, assign a drive letter then tell you the device is installed and ready to use.

I would just return it and get another, or better yet purchase an enclosure and build your own.

5. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

The ones with the exclamation marks are: Adobe LM services,Lavalys Everest Kernel Driver,Universal Plug and Play Device Host.
    BTW, what part of Canada are you from?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I bet your Cryptographic service isn't functioning correctly.

Follow these steps: http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_014.html

Then reboot and go back to Device Manager, right click on each device with an error and go to Properties. Then choose to update the driver for each device.

I'm from Ontario.

7. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

I took the first WD external drive back to the story when this happened. The next time I had my wife install the drive because I had to go to work. While I was at work I was able to look up the message I was getting to see what it was all about and how common the message was. Discovered all was good to continue. My wife sends me a message from MS, before I was able to tell her it was okay to hit continue button. When I got home to reinstall I ran into the same problem. Two beeps when attaching the USB cable and one when removing the cable.
    Took that one back today, figuring my next new package will install as long as I tell it to continue when I get the MS message.
    Its like you get it right the first time or you will not get a second chance.

8. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

My last upgrade to XP sp3 went without a hitch, do you still think the Cryptography is malfunctioning?
    Born in Toronto, brought up in BC.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Possibly, thats a common cause for devices failing to installing correctly that normally would even install 100% automatically.

10. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

Looked at Crypto and everything looks okay.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you re-register the files as mentioned? It can be running and still broken.

12. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

Will do.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

The fact that initially when you plug the drive in you are not getting the standard Windows message for a USB device, i.e. "Found new hardware. Mass storage device. Your device is installed and ready to use" causes me to wonder if WD is using some sort of proprietary interface adapter for the drive you are trying to use that Windows is having a "problem" with.

Earlier this year right here at TSG a poster had to disassemble a WD "My Passport" external drive and found that WD in that instance was using a proprietary SATA interface on that drive.

The link to that thread with a pic of the WD proprietary drive inface is here.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/888253-sata-more-than-one-type.html

14. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

Initially, I would get the message Found new hardware.....The problem occured when we cancelled out of the install after receiving the MS warning and then tried to reinstall, that the computer would no longer send up the message "Found new hardware...... If I went to another computer and tried to install it there, that computer would also recognized new hardware on first install. I didn't bother going to the extent of cancelling out to see if I would have the same problem.

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Sorry, I was misunderstanding your problem. Was the Microsoft warning pertaining to hardware or software? I don't recall getting a Microsoft hardware warning, just a software warning that the software had not undergone WHQL testing.

16. BCgreen

BCgreen Thread Starter

It was a software warning. What is curious is that I would get two beeps from the computer when I tried to plug the usb line in and one beep on disconnection.
    I have yet to try what triple6 suggested.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice