1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new HD dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moebius, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

hi

i got a new 250gb drive recently and installed it in place of an older 80gb one. i reinstalled windows, transferred my data, and the drive worked fine, for about a month until now. it just quits spinning sometimes. i can hear it click off. and sometimes the BIOS won't list the drive. i've also noticed that giving the drive a little tap will cause it to restart. i've checked the power cables, theyre fine. securely plugged and the voltages are good to.

should i rma it?

2. Gary335

Gary335

Yes your hard drive is going up. What's happening is, the read arm is falling onto the plate. By tapping the HD, you cause the arm to come back up off the plate, which allows the plate to resume spinning. If you don;t know what I;m talking about, think about a record player. The inside of a hard drive is for all intents and purposes identical.

3. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

its a new drive, how does this happen?

should i return it for warranty?

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Definitely. Copy all your important files off quickly because it could fail for good at any time. You could download and run the drive manufacturers diagnostic but my guess will be it'll fail that too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!