1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HD, how big can I go?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katieruss, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Our spare PC is a 333mhz with a 6.02 Gig HD. I'd really like to have more HD space without going with a slave HD or external. In the past I had a similar system and had the HD crash and I was told the largest I could replace it with was a 10 Gig. I can't recall the reason for this but am now curious.

Can anyone advise me how big I could go on replacing the 6.02 and what would happen if I went with a HD that was too large for my PC. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
    Katie

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Depends on your operating system. I'm guessing you don't have XP?

3. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Yes, it does have XP.

Katie

4. bunlover

bunlover

I think it's a limitation of your motherboard/BIOS. some older MB/BIOS can recognize only upto 32 GB. You can install a higher capacity HD. But you can use only the capacity that the BIOS recognize. Windows XP will show the recognized amount of HD space.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Most likely correct.

You can get a 20 or 40 gb hard drive for pretty cheap. If you don't use a slave drive, however, you're going to have clone the drive you have now, or re-install XP. That's quite a process on a computer with a 333mhz processor. That machine really isn't suitable for XP.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A really old PII type system might even have an 8GB limitation.

We'd need to know the exact motherboard model to tell you with certainty. Many PII's could support up a 137GB drive with a BIOS update.

7. BlueBelton

BlueBelton

Hi Katie,

There are various possibilities - but all will bump into the limitations of your older system.

One possibility is to use the PC as a terminal, keeping files on a server - by networking them together. Having XP on both will make this possible unless your Bios / Motherboard puts a spanner into the proverbial. However, if that did work you would probably not need another hard disc.

If I were you, rather than spend money on a new hard disc, I would see if I could pick-up a cheap but properly working second-hand computer which is newer than yours and has an adequate hard disc size. Depends on your budget of course.

Good luck!

BB

8. Seth13

Seth13

9. BlueBelton

BlueBelton

Wow! At those prices it would be worth my flying to the States to pick one up in person. There you are, Katie - forget the upgrade: go replacement.

BB

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

With 32 Gb limit though sounds like you are mistakenly using XP at Fat32 and not NTFS.

11. katieruss

katieruss Thread Starter

Those replacement PC prices are nice but I cant really afford to spend that much at this time, but thanks anyway. What I was basically hoping is that I could get a cheap 10-20Gig HD to buy the PC a bit more time. It surprisingly runs XP well, and since I added ram last week (256 now) it runs older games decently as well, its only real shortfall is HD space but it makes a great PC for the kids.

I just wanted to make sure it would accept the 10-20Gig before going through all the trouble of buying and reformatting a used HD. At a local boot sale I know of a guy who would likely sell me one for less than the price of a lunch. Any more thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Katie

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

32GB is also a BIOS limiation. And to get Windows XP to format a partition to only 32GB would require someone to create a 32GB partition, XP does not give you a choice to format a drive in FAT32 if its large then 32GB.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep quite true....TY

14. bunlover

bunlover

I think if BIOS recognize only upto 32 GB, no matter how big the HD is, the OS (XP in this case) will see the HD as a 32 GB HD.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Exactly. Especially with such an old computer. If the BIOS can't recognize something like 40 gigs, the operating system won't either.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice