1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HD setup issue in Compaq 5304

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jannu, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jannu

jannu Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

I have a working Compaq 5304 single drive system. I just tried to replace the 2G drive with a 8G drive (I don't have the cable to add the additional drive as a slave... not shops open at 12:30am. for me to go and buy one). So, I decided to replace the original drive. Went into CMOS settings (this stumped me until I found the answer on-line) but didn't see any HD information. Hmmmm.....

Pulled the new drive out and checked for jumpers. No jumpers for a single drive setup. Checked the original drive to compare and no jumpers. Put the original drive and went back into CMOS. No HD info. Booted the system into OS and no problems.

I have checked Compaq's site and no luck. I am stuck. BIOS doesn't show any HD info for me to change or setup/detect a new drive.

I don't know where to go from here.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It should auto-detect the drive, but the BIOS in that PC is quite old now and it may struggle with the larger drive - it may just not understand it?

3. jannu

jannu Thread Starter

- The BIOS is from AWARD and is named: 2A5IMG09. No dates or anything. I suspected this at first but the BIOS should show the HD info. even at lower limits if there are any for this version.

4. jannu

jannu Thread Starter

Please try to give more suggestions/ideas. In the meantime, I'll try to hit Award's site to see what they say. The PC is 250mhz.... 1999? I'll have to check on the year, if I can. My first experince dealing with a BIOS issue and feeling uncertain without help.

I find it interesting that though the CMOS doesn't show any HD settings, the PC boots into OS (running XP and just gaging on it).

5. junglejeff

junglejeff

Some of the older bios you need to go in & tell it to detect the drive. Also, if you look up the hard drive you can get the jumper settings from the mfg. site. or post it here if you can't find it.

6. jannu

jannu Thread Starter

JJ - There's no place in the BIOS to tell it to detect the drive. The drive lists the jumper mapping on the cover. The BIOS is not even showing the existing drive though the system boots into OS fine. It knows the drive..... somehow. And "How" is my question.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If BIOS shows nothing for the working drive, why would it show anything for the new drive? I guess I don't understand what you want to see.

Have you tried installing an OS to the new drive to see if it's working properly?

8. jannu

jannu Thread Starter

Elvandil - There is no drive setup info. I tried to do what you said... it took the fdisk and formatted to 2G ... just like the original drive. The system knows, somehow, that there is a 2G drive. How...... is my question? Knowing that I can move forward to add a bigger drive and be able to define it or tell "something" to autodetect. Right now, BIOS (or the current version) is not it.... as I see it.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may not actually "know" anything about the drive. The 2 gigs is the maximum size that a FAT partition can be formatted. Are you enabling large disk support in fdisk whenever it asks? Does it ask (older versions of fdisk didn't)? It's possible that it is trying to make a FAT16 partition and the 2 gigs is just co-incidentally the size of the first drive.

What do you plan to install on that drive? If Win98, you could try just going ahead with the installation. If it successfully installs on the 2 gig partition, you could then resize the partition to encompass the rest of the space, or use the rest of the drive as another partition.

If you get installed and the partition turns out to be FAT16, you can use the Drive Converter in Tools to convert it to FAT32. And you can resize the partition with the free Zeleps Partition Resizer ( http://www.zeleps.com/ ).

So it might be worth a shot to install and see how far you can go from there.

When you set the jumper for the new drive, you should go by the jumper diagram on the drive itself (if any) rather than by comparing it to the old drive. There is no guarantee that the jumper setting for the new drive is the same as for the old, even if the same make but a different model.

10. jannu

jannu Thread Starter

Hi, Elvandil;

I understand what you are telling me about the 2G limitation of FAT16. When trying to fdisk the new drive, it just showed me if I wanted to use the maximum space available which was listed as 2G. Didn't ask me about large drive support.

I plan to install XP. I will try to use your suggestion of converting to FAT32.

The new drive listed the jumper settings for single, master, slave and the drive is set for single. I understand what you are saying about jumper settings and comparing. Appreciate the heads up.

My work sched. for next few days will prevent me form coming back. In the meantime, I will play with your suggestion to see how far I can go. I will be back and list the progress.

You think I should try to upgrade the BIOS, if it can be?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you plan to install XP, you don't need to be messing with fdisk at all, anyway. Boot from the XP CD and you will get the option to remove all partitions and create new ones using diskpart.exe, a much superior partitioning tool. See if XP setup recognizes the drive size.

And stick with NTFS for XP. XP expects NTFS, works best on NTFS, gives you all its features on NTFS, and your data will be safer on NTFS.

Forget the Zeleps tool above because it only works with FAT32 partitions.

I'll look to see if there is a BIOS upgrade for that machine and what it was intended to fix.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

If that's a Presario, there are no BIOS updates available. In typical Compaq style, there is no support whatever for XP on that machine because it was not sold with XP on it. You may have some problems finding drivers since they have none for XP. But if your hardware is not Compaq, you still should be able to operate it.

The machine was sold with 2000 on it, so some of those drivers may work in XP if you need to try them.

If your machine is a 5304EA, there are drivers available for that one for XP. And it's possible that that model uses some of the same hardware as yours, even if you don't have the EA.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93187&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

There is a BIOS ROMpaq for that model, but it only addresses a stepping issue with Celeron processors, so I'd leave it alone, even if it is for your model.

I also ran across this utility that you may find useful at some point---it erases the hard drive:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...roduct=93187&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=35267

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Before you go too far - that PC will virtually stop dead trying to run XP.

The useable minimum speed is about 450 MHz, with 128 MB of RAM

MS actually state 300 MHz, but thats not reasonable, its too slow to use.

Your 250 MHz would be unworkable.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

And there may not even exist drivers for hardware that old. You can try XP and turn off everything not needed, but I agree with kiwiguy that you'd be a lot better off with 98.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice