Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New HD

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  LONGHAIR 
#1 ·
Hi, do you think a Seagate Barracuda 80 gb harddrive will work with my Compaq Presario 5640? Or is it too big for it?

#5 ·
Actually, if the BIOS doesn't recognize the 80gig, you can't simply partition smaller, the 32gigs for 1999 and earlier BIOS versions are for the whole drive.

#6 ·
Originally posted by JohnJ:
WELCOME TO TSG.

what operating system are you running?
What size hard drive do you have now?
My operating system is Windows 98. I've had a 46 gb harddrive, but it crashed.
Is it true that there is a limit at 32 gb and the next limit is 120 gb? If so, I have already stepped over that limit with my 46 gb drive.

#9 ·
I went from a Quantum lct10 10gig to an IBM Deskstar 120GXP 120gig without any issues at all. This was on a machine running Windoze 98se with a PII450. It reported the drive as 117gigs, so I don't think you should have any probs with the 80gigger.

#10 ·
You shouldn't have PROBLEMS with the 80GB running on your Compaq...

BUT you need to download the FDISK update from Microsoft... go to their support section, do a search on something like "100GB drive windows98" it should point you the right way. Or grab FDISK from a windowsME boot floppy (dont use the Me Boot floppy for Windows98) or from WIndowsME C:/windows/command folder.

Standard FDISK tops out around 63GB... The new one will have no problem going higher.

#11 ·
Just for my info, what does fdisk do that format does not? When I reformat a HDD I just use format and load the os (98SE)

#14 ·
I shouldn't have bought that drive. When it reached about 30 GB, it crashed and destroyed the saved information so badly I could only recover a small part.
Learn by my mistake and DO NOT buy an 80 GB harddrive for any computer like mine. And do not listen to Compaq or Seagate support. They all told me it would be okey to buy it and now look what happened.

#15 ·
Did you fdisk it correctly? Formatted it first?

Reached 30GB of what? Ghosting? Formatting?

Forgot your specs... but a typical P3 and P2 systems should not have problems.

#16 ·
Cassis,
What really happened here? The last post is very vague.
Actually this whole thread is rather vague.

How did you "lose" anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.