1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HDD - does it need attebntion?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docusk, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docusk

docusk Thread Starter

I have a new HDD to put into an external case. At present it can't be 'seen' in My Computer. Using a known good drive, all is well.
    Does a new disk need to be formatted? If so how to do it.
    I did wonder about connecting it internally which would be fairly simple.
    Is there any other way of testing a HDD? It is always possible that the drive is faulty.
    Another point. I notice that when both my external drives are connected, only one is 'seen'. My older HDD caddy is using USB but it can also use Firewire. Should I try that?

docusk

2. stantley

stantley

The hard drive probably needs to be formatted. Go to Run and type in diskmgmt.msc. It should show up in there. Right click on Disk n for the new one and do initialize. Once that's done right click on the window to the right and pick Partition (one partition is fine). Then when that's done right click again and Format. It takes a while to run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice