1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HDD - windows install - partition options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmt21, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt21

jmt21 Thread Starter

HEllo everyone,
    I came here just seeking some advice on a new HDD install and how i should partition the new drive.

I'm taking out an old 80gig HDD i have because it's been acting slow and i'm afraid it's going to die on me. it's probably a few years old. anyway i bought a new 750gig to put in there and am installing XP Media Edition. My plan was to after the install create a second partition to back up the initial install on so that i can more easily do a format later if i need too. the second partition would strickly be for the back up image. then i would make a 3rd partition on the drive for media files.

2 questions.

1. Should i install all my drivers and main programs like viruse and firewall, utorrent, itunes, and any other programs i would normally use before i backup the install to an image file? or should i jsut backup the windows install and nothing else?

2. Should i keep my programs on a separate partition then the winxp main files? or just keep all installed programs together with the windows install? does that make sense? hope so. And if I'm going to keep all programs and winxp install on the same partition...how large should the partition be? right now my winxp HDD is 80 gigs and 90% full...so should the new partition for winxp be maybe 150gigs? with the back up being whatever the size of the partition is that the fresh install takes up? guessing maybe 15gigs?

i think that was more then 2 questions in there, but if you made it this far thanks a lot for reading and any feedback, opinions or other options i didn't think of.

Jeff

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice