1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new HDD won't let my machine boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geomyster, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geomyster

geomyster Thread Starter

So I decided to get a new Hard Drive to start with a fresh install of XP & Linux.
    I ordered Western Digital's WD7500AAKS 750GB SATA 7200 16MB
    I unplugged the 2 SATA's that were hooked up, and plugged in only the new one.
    Boot:
    Completes Memcheck, hangs for a couple of seconds, then reboots.
    The normal boot sequence is for clear screen and bring up some SATA driver info.
    It boots just fine if I unplug the new 750GB and plug back in the old 160GB w/ XP on it.
    It will not boot with the XP drive plugged in, and the 750GB plugged in.
    Did I get a bum HDD, or is there some kind of capacity limit on Asus's K8N? I couldn't find anything on there web site about a SATA capacity limit...

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

Where does it fail in the boot process? Can you boot to CD or does it just not turn on at all?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What happens if you have your XP hard drive connected to a SATA connector that would boot before the new hard drive's one. Typically they are numbered and the lower number should be the one you want to boot from

4. geomyster

geomyster Thread Starter

It fails in the boot process after the memcheckOK. Typically the next process is Clear Screen, then it starts loading SATA drivers.
    ===
    If I connect back the XP drive, it will boot just fine as long as the new drive is not plugged in. If the new drive is plugged in it fails during the same part of the boot sequence.
    I have tried swapping which port the drives are plugged into (SATA1 or 2) but no matter what, if the new HDD is plugged in, it will not boot.

5. Gnomad

Gnomad

Were you able to boot to your Windows CD and install the sata drivers and Windows?

6. geomyster

geomyster Thread Starter

No, the BIOS does not get far enough before restarting to even start thinking about booting from any disk drive, CD or HDD.
    right after the memCheck it hangs for a sec, then the machine restarts.
    If I hit del to enter BIOS setup, it says entering setup, but restarts itself before it can get there. (because it completes POST before entering BIOS setup)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

At this point I would suspect the drive.

8. geomyster

geomyster Thread Starter

Heads up for anyone that reads this thread in the future:
    Worked it out with Western Digital tech support, ended up being a bum drive, in the RMA process now.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's what was suspected. Glad you got it taken care of.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/679573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice