1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HDD works only in middle connector

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Bizman62, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bizman62

Bizman62 Thread Starter

I cloned a 80 gb IDE disk to a 160 gb one. To my surprise the machine couldn't boot to windows, due to missing boot device. After checking the bios setup, I noticed the new disk didn't exist anymore. After some retries I accidentally found out, that the new disk would only work in the middle connector of the IDE ribbon cable!

Here's what I've tried so far:

• cloned with another program, actually tried 4 different programs/versions
      changed the cable
      tried with another similar disk
      partitioned the 160 gb disk into two 80 gb partitions
      set the jumper from "cable select" to "master"
      "master" jumpering works as master in the middle connector, "cs" makes it a slave
      looked for bios setup settings: when clicking the primary IDE channel it finds the disk, but after reboot loses it again
      checked for a newer bios, but the current is the newest (v. 1006, dated 2003)
      reinstalled the abovementioned bios
      tried cloning to a 40 gb disk: This works normally!
    The computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo600 with Asus A7V600-F as motherboard. Asus has some newer bios versions for the non-F boards, but their fixes didn't seem relevant to this issue. Also I've been told rather not to use manufacturer bioses with OEM branded boards. The manual doesn't say anything about the size of the disk. The original disk was a Seagate, the new a WD, the 40 GB a Maxtor, if that makes any difference.

Luckily there's only one disk in the computer, so it can be used in the middle/slave position without problems. But: what if I'd like to add another drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/958240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice