1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new HDTV install issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dahunn, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

k.....I got a new 23" HDTV for my office. I was using two older 17" CRT monitors previously. I had some issues with the onboard video so I was running both my CRT's off of my NVIDIA PCI card.

I got the new monitor and decided to work on the the ATI on board so that I could make use of the the DVI output. I had run just a "regular" cable to get the new HDTV running yesterday. Pretty good picture really. But for some reason my CRT monitor (yes still running with one so that I can have dual monitors) looks fuzzy. Each monitor is being run from a different video card. The NVIDIA does not have DVI outputs.

Today I went and purchased a DVI to HDMI cable and plugged it in. Now I have a picture on both monitors, but the HDTV isn't very great resolution ( I swear it was better with just normal cables) and the second monitor is still fuzzy. When I looked at the setup, it shows 3 monitors available with only 2 active. It lists both monitors as simple plug and play monitors and won't let me choose anything else. I can change the screen size but not the resolution if that makes sense. I'm sure I've done something improper but I don't know what it could be.

2. D-Berd

D-Berd

The problem is, is that no one can see what you have....You have an ATI card in a pc with 17 inch crt monitor and a new 23" HDTV...... Google ATI video cards and you'll see what I'm talking about.... You have to be as specific possible. Dunno, maybe list the exact make and model # of the hardware you're dealing with? It will do wonders if you try being more specific.

3. dahunn

dahunn Thread Starter

The onboard chipset is an ATI Radeon X1200 Series with 700 MB. It is connected to an Emerson 23" HDTV. The PCI adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT with 512 MB connected to a 17" Gateway monitor. Not sure why a 3rd monitor is being listed on the display properties.

4. D-Berd

D-Berd

Ati an Nvidia should have their own display managers. Do you have them installed and are the drivers up to date? Yeah I know it's a no brainer to update drivers but...
    If you have them installed then there should be settings to adjust the the tv for better picture quality.... As for the CRT, you may have the herts rating set wrong, check it to make sure. It can be set from 60 hertz to 80 or above depending on the monitor. You never mentioned the make and model of the pc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice