1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new heatsink mater system hotter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waynebul, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

new heatsink making system hotter just fitted a new heatsink and fan in to a custom case with dell inspiron530 insides qaud core 8 gb ram 500 gb hdd and a 230 gb hdd = cards . a h.d.t heat pipe direct touch side blow series hdt-s963/hdt-s1283 help

2. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

It could be a number of things. Without more information it can be difficult to gauge what is causing this. What were the old temperatures and what are the new temperatures?

Of the various things it could be:
    1. Didn't properly clean off the cpu prior to installing new heatsink.
    2. Used too much thermal paste.
    3. Used too little thermal paste.
    4. Used thermal paste when a thermal pad was already affixed to the heatsink.
    5. Current airflow in system does not allow air to get to the fan for the heatsink.
    6. Heatsink not seated properly.

I guess my first suggestion would be to remove the heatsink and make sure everything is fully cleaned, and then reapply thermal paste and try again.

Good Luck
    Jeremy

3. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

i cleaned of the old cpu before installing and i have rechecked the seat of the new heat sick its good i used the thermal paist that came with it and i am presently waiting for some Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste

4. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

and i have a 80 mm side in take fan and excorst at the top rear

5. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

old temps with the old system heat sink was around 45 idle and 60 on load now its more like 59 idle and 65 load and full load is 75 with prime 95

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Provide a link to the cooler you used. It sounds like you have an airgap between the heatsink and the the processor heatspreader.

7. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

8. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

but iv checked the heat sink the best i can and it looks good but as i said i got some new thermal paist coming so we,ll see

9. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

and what/where exactly is the air gap :s

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    An air gap is going to be somewhere between the Processor and the heatsink. With the heatsink inplace you would not see it.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The installation instructions for that cooler are poor.

When you get the new thermal compound clean the bottom of the heatsink and the heatspreader and make sure it is prefectly clean. Put a drop of AS5 about the size of a pea right in the middle of the heatspreader, make sure the locking pins are in the lock position, align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard and push down on two pins at a time diagonal from each other. After those pins are down and locked push down on the other two pins at the same time diagonal from each other. After all 4 pins are down and locked, go back around and push down "firmly" on each pin cap one at a time.

If you are more comfortable pushing one pin at a time that's OK, just make sure you hold the cooler so the other pins stay aligned with the motherboard holes. Either pushing one pin at a time, or two at a tiime diagonal from each other works equally well. The advantage to pushing two at a time is that it keeps the pins aligned better with the holes in the board.

I recall a couple of other people having problems with that cooler because the bottom was not machined smooth and they couldn't get a firm contact between the heatsink and the heatspreader.

If you reinstall the cooler and the temperatures are still high lift the cooler off carefully and take some pictures of both the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the heatspreader and post them so we can see what the "footprint" looks like.

You can install the thermal compound as AS5 instructs, but I always just use a pea size drop in the middle of the heatspreader. When the heatsink locks down to the motherboard you should get all the compound spreading you need, but if you are more comfortable using the AS5 instructions thats fine also.

12. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

thanks very much for your help will do :cool:

13. waynebul

waynebul Thread Starter

that being over with ( i trashed the heat sink reinstalled the original with new piast and fan ) i need to up grade my psu i have a costum case http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CR18G0/ref=oss_product and was looking at this psu
    OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt Gamers Power Supply Unit - OCZ600SXS-UK do u think my motherboard ofm586 ( im using a dell inspiron530 components ) is that ok do you tink thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!