New Home Network?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jhroach

OK, Here's the rub....Just got Qwest DSL, it comes with an ActionTec 701 modem, which has a built in wireless router. Can set up my desktop and a laptop, one on ethernet connection and one on USB connection. The laptop is a IBM Thinkpad with wireless capability, I set up the Modem so that wireless is on, inserted a WEP code into the laptop, but the laptop won't connect wirelessly, only thru the USB connector. Printed some tutorials from homenethelp.com, but was hoping someone would be able to tell me what the heck I am doing wrong, or not doing at all. BTW, went to both help centers, actiontec tells me I gotta call qwest and qwest wasn't at all helpful, once the green light is on on the modem, it is out of their hands. Look forward to hearing from anyone.:confused:

Have you tried to do it without WEP key.
I have had same issue with my dlink wireless router.Taking the WEP out of it solved the problem.
They had a bug in their code and latest version fixed the issue, and now i can use WEP with it.
Also make sure that you are connecting through wireless adatper on your laptop (not USB)
Start-Control Panel-Network and Internet Connections and you should see your wireless adapter. I would disable everything else you have in there (USB, NIC etc)

Hope it helps

jhroach

:confused: ok, Went to Device manager it doesn't show a wireless card, but there is a infrared port, does this mean I cannot connect wirelessly, I could have sworn this laptop was WIFI capable, but cannot figure it out

jhroach

BTW what the heck is SSID?...change my profile for computer knowledge from Intermediate to complete loser, the mor I try to play, the more I realize I don't know jack

SSID is a service set indetifier. It just indetifies between different wireless networks.
For example if you have wireless network and your neighbor has one, you would be able to see two SSID's. Two Wireless networks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online