In Progress New Home Page Without My Vital Information

migolfergirl

HI! I woke up this morning to a completely new home page without ANY of my most-used apps, and the loss of some critical saved Word Pads with my security passwords, etc.

Is there any way to go back and retrieve? I believe this may have been an auto Windows or Chrome update. I re-installed Firefox, but cannot find the HOME PAGE option to go back and see if I can get it to reload.

HELP!!

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can give me.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190802232456.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 445 GB (249 GB Free); D: 931 GB (931 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0KWVT8, ver A03, s/n CN722004AT01JQ.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 20100118, s/n 61P5622
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
Hello!

To confirm when you say home page, you mean the desktop screen that you first see when you log in? If so, then it sounds like you went into a temporary profile, which will load if there was an issue with your profile.

Please check File Explorer for the C: Drive > Users folder. You should find folders with usernames. If you find yours see if you can access it.

Couriant

James
Also, from what I have read, if you are in a temporary profile (there would be a TEMP folder in the Users folder) people have been able to sign out, then sign back into the user with the files intact.

migolfergirl

Hello!

To confirm when you say home page, you mean the desktop screen that you first see when you log in? If so, then it sounds like you went into a temporary profile, which will load if there was an issue with your profile.

Please check File Explorer for the C: Drive > Users folder. You should find folders with usernames. If you find yours see if you can access it.
YES, my name is under the Users folder, and I can access my old documents file that way.

migolfergirl

Also, from what I have read, if you are in a temporary profile (there would be a TEMP folder in the Users folder) people have been able to sign out, then sign back into the user with the files intact.
That temp file is empty.

I also notice that common sites that are password protected used to be auto-filled for me. Now I have to either remember what that password was, or start all over.

Did I get infected with a virus? Or did MS wipe out everything I was doing? I use FireFox as my browser. I'm really irritated that this could happen. :-(

migolfergirl

Is there any way to have a more direct route to documents than under C:/Users/etc?

Also, I'd really like to find that NotePad I saved to my desktop with all my security info in it.... What do I look for?

DR.M

Malware Trainee
Have you tried this?

Couriant

James
That temp file is empty.

I also notice that common sites that are password protected used to be auto-filled for me. Now I have to either remember what that password was, or start all over.

Did I get infected with a virus? Or did MS wipe out everything I was doing? I use FireFox as my browser. I'm really irritated that this could happen. :-(
I am guessing that the issue was due to an update to something (windows normally).

Did you use the FireFox sync option? If so, then you can get your passwords from that.

The directory of the Desktop would be C:\users\<your username>\Desktop

Also try this:

1. Boot into Safe Mode by clicking “Restart” while holding the Shift key on the login screen.
  2. Reboot back out of Safe Mode. Your PC should start normally and restore your user profile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!