1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HP laptop battery - "Plugged in, not charging" message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akril, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Hello,

My HP Pavilion dm4 laptop's battery was failing (it started shutting down with no Low Battery warning after barely 5 minutes after unplugging it, even with a full charge), so I purchased and installed a new one, which I purchased from Amazon.com.

However, this new battery has me facing some new problems. I frequently see the message "Plugged in, not charging" over the battery icon in the lower right corner when the laptop is plugged in. I've tried multiple solutions to this problem, including:

-Removing the battery driver software and restarting the laptop
    -Turning the laptop off, unplugging the power cord, taking out the battery, plugging in the power cord, replacing the battery and restarting
    -Unplugging the cord from the wall while laptop is running, restarting the laptop, then reconnecting the cord

All of these solutions seemed to work, but only for a short amount of time, as it turned out. In all three cases, my laptop eventually started displaying the "plugged in, not charging" text again. I've tried multiple sockets in two different houses, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Another less annoying problem is that the laptop sometimes gives an inaccurate reading for the remaining battery life. I started working on the laptop when it was fully charged, and despite spending over an hour unplugged, the battery life never dropped below 100%. Shutting and reopening the lid caused the laptop to display the actual percentage, however.

Is something wrong with my new battery, or could something else be causing this?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Its either that the new battery is faulty or theres some kind of power supply problem.you might want to have it checked out to see what the exact problem is and go from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice