New hp laptop came with hard drive 70% full

BoltMountain

Just got a new laptop (HP, windows 10) and after going through initial startup I'm left with only 32% of my harddrive free.. 9/28 gb. I poked around and don't see anything on the computer that would explain this. I saw a suggestion about hard drive being partitioned, and it looks to me like there isnt one. It has a small partition with 260mb/
Free of 260mb total, windows c: at 9.04/28.37gb, and a windows re tools with 62mb/490mb.

I did install steam, but the one game I want to use this laptop for requires 13 gb free... what am I missing?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) of your HP laptop?
Once it's correctly identified and we can verify what hardware it came with, we can better address your issue.

It's my guess it came with a 32 GB (29 GB actual capacity) solid state drive.
The install of Windows 10 will consume most of that, so that leaves very little space for installing apps or storing personal data.
Hopefully, it came with a second much larger capacity hard disk drive or solid state drive.

------------------------------------------------

BoltMountain

HP Stream Laptop 14-ds0020nr

B07RT2D738

I should have an old external drive laying around somewhere if I am stuck with this small space.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That serial number is "not found", so you may have read it incorrectly or it's not in the HP database yet if you just purchased it.
It's not that important, so don't worry about it.

THIS is the default support site for the HP Stream 14-ds0020nr Notebook PC.
According to its product specifications section, it comes with a 32 GB (29 GB actual capacity) eMMC solid state drive.
It does not come with a second larger capacity hard disk drive or solid state drive.
According to its on-line service manual, there doesn't appear to be an option to add one.
It appears to support upgrading to a 64 GB (59 GB actual capacity) eMMC solid state drive, but I couldn't confirm that.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
HP Stream Laptop 14-ds0020nr

B07RT2D738

I should have an old external drive laying around somewhere if I am stuck with this small space.
This computer doesn't have a hard drive at all. For storage it has a 32GB eMMC chip soldered to the motherboard. Some of these computers allow the storage to be upgraded. Unfortunately even then it is only for an very experienced person to perform. Note an eMMC chip uses flash memory like a flash drive.

These computers are designed for doing everything online. They are not meant to have any additional software installed on them. In fact since there is so little free storage on them like yours has then you will probably be unable to upgrade to the next version of Windows 10.

I also see that it comes with Windows 10 S. Windows 10 S differs from regular Windows 10 in that it can only install programs from the Microsoft Store. It will not allow you to install regular programs.

You can do a one time upgrade from Windows 10S to the regular Windows 10. There should be an option somewhere to do this. Even if there is enough free disk space to do it you are still left with the problem of having minimal free storage available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online