1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New HP Laptop Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -Tom, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Tom

-Tom Thread Starter

Okay, so my sister has bought a laptop and she wanted me to set it up. It's brand new HP Pavilion dv7, on the first boot it took 2 hours to start up and after putting in user details it started to install HP software which halfway through it blue screened. 2 hours to start up already set off alarm bells so I started it in safe mode and noticed it hung on a ATI driver, so not being able to create a backup disk because windows hadn't even booted yet I decided to duel boot it with Ubuntu 11.10 just so she can use the laptop until I get a windows repair disk. Anyways, installing ubuntu for some reason thought "backup" meant "okay" after I clicked on "New Partition Table...", so here I am with a now formatted hard drive I decided to go ahead with the ubuntu installation. Apart from the installation is being very slow and consistently crashing on copying files. Sometimes I get to setting up user sometimes it crashes before that and the errors are very random. When booting into live disk it seems fine and fast, so something tells me theres a problem with the internal hard drive? Also when I checked the battery status it says Battery(not present). I think this is one faulty laptop.

I said I should format the drive and let her take it back but she ordered it online through work because she got a discount. I have no idea what I should do now.

Thanks,

Tom

2. -Tom

-Tom Thread Starter

I managed to install Ubuntu 11.10 all the way to the end but now when I boot I get error : hd0 out of disk?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should absolutely have her return it. If its new and faulty then that's what the warranty is for.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice