1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new HP w/Vista can unistall junk programs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nobadthing, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nobadthing

Nobadthing Thread Starter

I just purchased a new HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium yesterday. As soon as got it home I went to uninstall programs to remove the pre-installed junk software only to find must of the programs were not listed as available to uninstall. I was not given any program CDs for Vista and I'm afraid to try and put XP on this computer. I've talked to HP and the people at Best Buy but no one can tell me how to get rid of it. I'm extremely annoyed. I'm fairly computer literate but I'm not an expert. I do know I don't like having this crap on my computer and I'm frustrated enough to return the whole thing. Is there anyway I can safely uninstall the following "trial" programs: Vongo, Vonage, AOL, Easy Internet, High Speed Services etc? Also, I want to remove: Windows Defender, PhotoSmart Essential, Windows Meeting Space, LightScribe etc?

And what the heck is HP Total Care and HP Easy Setup-CORE, HP Network Assistant? Can I and how do I remove these programs? I usually use google to search any program I don't recognize to determine if I can safely remove it but with the newness of Vista I can't seem to find anything trustworthy.

(Hp said I need to call the software providers. I asked them why they put it on there if they don't know how to get it off but "Tina" (yea, right) had no idea what I was saying. I didn't understand most of what she said either so I guess we were even. Gotta love outsourcing to India...)

If anyone has the answers please let me know. I don't appreciate losing control over what programs reside on my PC and the lack of ability to uninstall is really ticking me off. I am tempted to return the whole thing even though I will only get store credit and by a Mac, which I know nothing about... Please help me.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Maybe this HP is like the olders ... You Have to burn your own recovery DVDs.
    If you haven't done this .. Do it now.

For the XP versions ... I've been known to install a copy of M$ Windows XP ..
    using the product code from the side of my case.
    That sure cleans out the HP Junk.

Just a wild guess that this'll also work for Vista.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Wow?! HP really locked out the listing of the programs from the REMOVE SOFTWARE tool under CONTROL PANEL?

With HP's XP's system, you go down the list and uninstall all that crap, including the pre-loaded HP printers (why they bother with this? when all Printers have warning to install the CD-Driver disc first) Removal of the programs you listed above is a snap. It usually returns about 120~160mb.

Take it back... build your own PC and buy WindowsXP. XP is supposed to be supported until 2014. ;)

4. techy689

techy689

HP Total Care is a great program you should use.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I uninstalled all the trial junk that HP put on my laptop, and there was nothing locked out. Some of the stuff you mention are just links to their websites, you can just delete the link. For all the on-line services, there's one folder in Program Files with all that junk in them, I just delete it. :)

6. the_one3630

the_one3630

I agree with JohnWill. I just purchased a new HP with all the same "links" on the desktop. And that was all they were, just links to those respective sites to solicit the download of their software. Just delete the links off the desktop.

7. JohnWill

You need to delete \Program Files\Online Programs too, it's the folder that has all the links to AOL, Earthlink, etc., and it included folders for some of those programs. I just killed off the whole thing.

8. Compiler

Compiler

The HP's stick about 550mb of ONLINE PROGRAMS in that folder too... ouch!

9. JohnWill

Not anymore. :D

10. steven1350

steven1350

HP is terrible for putting crapware with their new pc's. I have a HP less then a year old, and it had soooooooo much junk on it. Extra drivers for HP hardware which I don't have, game trials, update software for the programs I never use, anti-virus trial, MSOffice trial, etc....

Its ridiculus, you pay all this money for a pc, and they overkill it with more ways to make even more money

11. ysne58

ysne58

I created a file called garbage and moved all the desktop icons there so I don't have to look at them. I'll go into programs and follow some of the advice here too.

12. Compiler

Compiler

Takes about 15-20 minutes to UNINSTALL those items... rather than hiding them.

They suck up space on your HD and run in the back ground eating memory and CPU time.

Uninstall them is best.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't get me wrong I thinki HP are the best of the "store bought" solutions but they have always installed crapware on all their systems. More than that I remember a 5 year old HP restore finding "weather bug" installed which is spyware, and it had to come from the restore install.

14. Compiler

Compiler

Hence... before WinVista.

A typical HP WinXP install had about 2GB of deletable junk (this takes up space for defragging, etc) which sucked up about 200mb of RAM...! So a new 512mb HP (with shared video) would boot up with about 130mb of ram to work with.

15. JohnWill

Take a look at a Dell machine if you think HP is bad! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice