1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New I-9 gaming rig build; Win 10 install hangs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JohnP1980, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnP1980

JohnP1980 Thread Starter

Asus: z390 Intel i9-990K EVGA 1080ti 32 GB g.skill trident ddr4 3000 hz
    2 Adata 1tb ssds
    1 4tb Seagate spinny
    1 500GB Samsung m.2
    1 32 GB Intel Optane stick

BIOS is at default. When i load off the thumb drive the install hangs after i put in my product key and the "Setup is starting" screen pops up.

If i try to install in safe mode I get past the "setup is starting" screen and i choose my drive and windows starts doing its thing until a mandatory restart and then on restart i don't get past the ASUS screen.

Can't get any further than this. Help would be wonderful.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

what's the brand/make/model of your PSU?

Take out the Optane and see if it boots.

3. JohnP1980

JohnP1980 Thread Starter

PSU: Corsair RM 850X

Removed Optane rebooted off MS Win 10 thumbdrive

Attempt one: select language, install now, setup is starting, choose drives, hang.
    Attempt two: select language, install now, setup is starting, choose drives, hang.
    Attempt three: select language, install now, setup is starting, hang no mouse etc.

4. JohnP1980

JohnP1980 Thread Starter

Flashing BIOS and gonna reinstall again.

Edit: Reset CMOS, flashed BIOS, reinstalling. Smooth so far.

Good to go. Problem fixed. I'll install the Optane some time later. Thank you all.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Nice.....

Question: With the optane drive, will you see a significant performance increase. What's the from factor of that Optane drive?

From what I've read....it's basically just a caching setup. Seeing that you use a Samsung M.2 drive, Samsung uses Rapid Mode which is exactly what your Optane drive does but it uses your extra RAM to do so. Something to look into. You have plenty of RAM to utilize it.

I have a buddy that uses Rapid Mode and swears by it. It's just as fast as the new Gigabyte M.2 Aorus NVMe

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice