1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Install of O/S Conflict

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cyber19582, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyber19582

cyber19582 Thread Starter

trying to install Win95 on the following sys:
    2 hard drives C and D that are piggybacked, 3.5 floppy and 5.25 floppy that are piggybacked, and a CD-Rom that is independently ribboned(IDE)
    i am attempting to reinstall Win95..i have a bootdisk and i have a cd-rom device driver disk...when i reinstall, the cd-rom does not get recognized after all is said and done in the normal installation. .....it is my guess that because the hard drives are lettered C and D, the Cd-rom is looking for D but it is occupied. I have tried to edit the config.sys and the autoexec.bat to no avail...(the Win95 screen freezes)
    my query is this....is it possible to uninstall or disable a particular hard drive (C or D) that would allow the cd-rom to find its way onto the system? or are there universal floppy-type programs that would allow me to restructure the cd-rom conflict.....in the past, i have indeed formatted and installed Win95 then Win98 then WinXP with the disks that i have, without a hitch but those were indeed just one(1) physical drive systems.......this two physical drive configuration seems to be a conflict......please advise at your earliest time.....Thanks with a Smile!!!!!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) are 3 drives (hd's and cdrom) recognized in the bios?

if not, its not a windows issue, its most likely a hardware/cabling issue.

2) if they are all recognized, have you tried booting with just one harddrive and cdrom, to see what happens?...then possibly shutting down and readding the other hd? if so what happened.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice