New install of windows 10 hanging and freezing

RookieJay

So, not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, please point me in the right direction where it should be posted. I recently got my brothers "hand me down" computer, but it didn't come with a SSD or video card. So after installing my SSD and video card, I installed windows 10 and it's hanging, or freezing and alt-ctrl-del does nothing. Most times while just watching videos in Chrome.

So far, I have updated drivers. Even reinstalled windows and re-updated drivers. Changed power settings. I'm not really too great at diagnosing problems but I have a decent understanding on how to navigate and follow advice.

Motherboard ; Asrock 970 extreme 3 R2.0
CPU ; FX 8320
GPU ; GTX 960
SSD (boot) Kingston 240gig
SSD 2 ; Samsung 850 EVO 250gig
HDD ; ST? not sure..

Windows 10 Home N

crjdriver

I moved this to the hardware forum. At this point, it is unknown IF this is a hardware ie motherboard, ram, etc problem OR a windows problem.
Do some basic troubleshooting; do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed, open the case and reseat ie remove and replace both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors. Be sure they are fully seated. Do the same with the ram. When you have the ram out, blow out the slots with a can of air
2 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Let it run in the bios for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages. Note if any of the voltages go up and down
3 Test your memory with memtest; https://www.memtest.org/ Make the bootable usb and test for at least 1hr. If you do not find any errors, then your memory is probably OK

RookieJay

Thanks you. I was really hoping it was software related, but I will do what you suggested and get back with results.. Can't thank you enough for your help. Really..

crjdriver

It may well be a software problem however until you test in a systematic manner, you will not know.
Another way to find out IF the problem is hardware or a windows/driver problem is to boot the system with a linux live usb. If the system functions fine under linux, your hardware is most likely fine. If you still have the same or similar problems with the live usb, you know you have a hardware problem.

Use either linux Mint or ubuntu for this task.

RookieJay

Thanks for the suggestion to use a linux live usb, that's a great idea! I've noticed that all my freezes seem to be in google, so I've switched to google beta, and haven't gotten a freeze yet, If It does continue, I will make a Linux live usb.. Thank you so much for the suggestion! Only one question, how do drivers work for ubuntu ? Thanks again!

Last edited:

RookieJay

I wasn't sure so I went searching to see what Windows 10 Home N meant.

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0-home-n/69297bd8-6737-45ae-8b74-d0b663a6173f

So you are trying to use video on a version of Windows 10 that lacks the ability. I'd say the version of Windows you have installed might be a big problem.
I understood it was windows without stuff like media player and some video stuff.. Not that it cant play video, just it doesnt come with those as default..

crjdriver

Windows N is a result of anti-trust investigations in the european union. The "N" version has been around for a while now.

I understood it was windows without stuff like media player and some video stuff.. Not that it cant play video, just it doesnt come with those as default..
According to docs, you can either install another type of Windows or install media feature pack that is not included in Windows N, and things "should" just work:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...edition-of-windows-10-version-1703-april-2017

Windows N is a result of anti-trust investigations in the european union
I did not know that! but googling out confirms this:
The Commission ruled in May that Microsoft had abused its dominance in the desktop software market to gain advantage in other related markets, such as media players. As part of antitrust sanctions, the regulator ordered Microsoft to distribute a version of Windows in Europe without WMP.
But it doesn't make much sense if users are free to install missing features on N editions whenever they want.
TLDR

EDIT:
btw. from here:
https://www.infoworld.com/article/2...opean-union-antitrust-changes-to-windows.html

Last edited:

RookieJay

So.. I've since switched to Google Chrome beta.. I went 2 days with out a freeze/crazh but on the 3rd day, I got one freeze..

For a bit of context, I hop on my computer around 6:30 am, and shut it off at 11 am.
Before the switch to Chrome Beta It would freeze 2+ times in the first hour and a half of use and it would freeze a few times after that..

Now, as mentioned above.. for 2 days it didn't freeze at all.. on the 3rd, it froze again.. than another 2 or 3 days with to problems, and just now it happened again..

Seems like the Switch to Chrome beta did something.. I dont feel it's just a coincidence that it went from freezing a bunch of times from 6:30 to 11 am to no freezes at all..

But I don't know the connection..

Still haven't had time to make a Linux live usb.. Please bare with me.. I'm just soo busy lately.. But I'll be sure to update the thread with any new changes.

That reminds me.. When Using a Ubuntu live USB.. Do I install drivers as usual? I'm wondering if there are even Linux drivers for my MOBO and GPU
Again, my pc ;
Motherboard ; Asrock 970 extreme 3 R2.0
CPU ; FX 8320
GPU ; GTX 960
SSD (boot) Kingston 240gig
SSD 2 ; Samsung 850 EVO 250gig
HDD ; ST? not sure..

Anyway, cant thank you guys enough.. Your help is Greatly appreciated..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online