1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New install of WINXP PRO Desktop only shows Recycle Bin Icon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rentonhighlands, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rentonhighlands

rentonhighlands Thread Starter

Do I have a issue? I just completed a complete reformat and new install of WIN XP PRO. I did the windows updates and restarted. I have restarted machine 3 times and each time desktop only shows icon of recycle bin. No my docs icon or my computer icon. This was a registered and legal copy of WIN XP I installed.

2. Sponsor

3. Dyonas

Dyonas

No, that's the default setting when you do a fresh install, if you want to show the other icons you mention all you have to do is click "Start" then right-click on My Computer and click on the option to "Show on Desktop". Do the same for the My Documents icon and it'll show up there too.

4. rentonhighlands

I changed my view right click start>properties>click on classic start menu. This shows the normal 5 icons on the desktop. However I was thinking these same icons were also there in the non-classic view?

5. rentonhighlands

Any suggestions of things I should do after a fresh install of OS? For example turn off processes, security stuff, ect....

6. Dyonas

Dyonas

I'm reasonably sure you get only the recycle bin with a fresh install of XP, I've done a lot of them lately as part of my course at college and using the XP themes (non-classic view) only shows the recycle bin. As for suggestions of things to do, patch up your system fully with all available security updates and important updates, if you're going online with the system you should probably get a virus scanner and firewall as a minimum. After that you may want to consider anti-spyware programs such as "Spybot Search and Destroy". After that you can add to it as you want with programs, games etc.. try and get Microsoft signed drivers if you can for hardware if it isn't picked up during the XP install.

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

If this computer is a brand-name box, the specific drivers for your computer model should be on the manufacturer's website under support/downloads.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671197