New intermittent cable run

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AgileWhisk

Hello, I am currently attempting to run a new run with 2 new cables and an existing good cable. This run extends about 100 feet and runs through 2 cheap connectors (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Ev02nrFsL._SY300_.jpg). This run connects 2 different routers at opposite ends of a home.

Symptoms:
The connectivity between devices on the secondary router is intermittent and works unreliably.

Useful notes:
2 of the in place cables are cat6, one is cat5e.
The 2 connectors used in the run are cheap.
The run is about 100 ft in cable length.
Connection works some of the time.
Total objects used in the run are 3 cables, 2 connectors and 2 routers.

current hypothesis:
One or both of the connectors are causing the issue.
I do not have a cable tester but am willing to buy one, I have yet to test each cord and connector individually.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I am currently attempting to run a new run with 2 new cables and an existing good cable. This run extends about 100 feet and runs through 2 cheap connectors
Instead of using 3 separate CAT5e/6 cables with 2 connectors to obtain that 100' length, what you really need is a single 100' CAT5e/6 cable.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100158116 600026301 600026276 600018991 600026303&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=36

---------------------------------------------------------------

I usually make my own cable. I find it useful to test it before putting it into place. The connectors, being the weakest link are probably the issue. But you can also test each cable to determine if that cable is good. Making cable can be a little frustrating at first until you get the hang of it. Make sue you buy a highly rated crimping tool.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Using a single CAT5e/6 cable instead of using 3 separate CAT5e/6 cables with 2 plastic RJ45 connectors will insure there's no weak links.
You might also consider using a shielded one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online