1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New internal hard drive disappearing during file transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richyfen, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richyfen

richyfen Thread Starter

I recently installed a new "WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bulk Bare Drive" for additional PC storage. Used regular sata cable to motherboard & sata power cable connector to power supply unit.
    OK, so the new drive didn't appear in Computer upon 1st boot, so I went in through Disk Management to format drive,
    Did it as GPT Disk (as >2Tb) and all went to plan. Until I started transferring files onto it. Started ok (64Mb/s) but after about 30 seconds noticed transfer activity not changing. Eventually error message came up stating new file location did not exist, and the drive had disappeared from Computer.
    Restarted and back it was. But same thing happened - no matter what size file I chose to transfer.
    Reformatted disk. Same thing happened.
    Converted to MBR disk, the disk was split in two (and by the way it only let me format one of them). Tried transferring again - same deal.The last time I noticed the transfer started at 128Mb/s and slowly crept down to 27Mb/s and stayed there until the error came up. Not sure if that hadn't happen previously.
    Anyway, I fear the drive is a dud - or my initial formatting screwed with something. Or it could be connections to the motherboard/power supply?
    Will be a little bit of a work up to open her up again to check connections, so just wanted to see if any of you Uber tech-savvy Demigods could shine a light on any of this before I have to do so.
    Many thanks, Rich
    --------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 3
    RAM: 16381 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 764420 MB, Free - 316947 MB; E: Total - 476813 MB, Free - 5533 MB; G: Total - 2097149 MB, Free - 2091359 MB; Q: Total - 1318789 MB, Free - 7609 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-870A-UD3
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice