1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New internet only works for a few minutes or so

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tracyabs80, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tracyabs80

tracyabs80 Thread Starter

Hi there

We had VDSL broadband installed on Friday and I purchased my own modem/router - Linksys X6200 and it wouldn't work when trying to set it up on my Macbook Air via an Ethernet cable.

Linksys couldn't help over the phone but they kindly offered to replace the device but the replacement has not solved the problem. It suddenly started working for a while but then cuts off and, sometimes, after switching the modem power off for a few minutes it will suddenly work for a while.

When I check the DSL connection it says handshaking or idle.l.3 - this is 95% of the time.

Our ISP (Flip in New Zealand) say it's not there problem as it has connected and that it could be a faulty jackpoint. Linksys say the DSL cable they provide is only a backup and I should have got one from my ISP.

Should I pay for someone to look at the jackpoint? Would it work intermittently though?

Sorry for the rambling. It's been a very stressful few days.

Many thanks for any advice.

2. naresh498

naresh498

First Name:
    Naresh kandra
    It's good if we test using a different cable first to see if it helps to resolve the issue. Can you try testing different Ethernet ports on the Modem/router when you have mac connected with cable, there should be four ports I guess.
    What about wifi? Does it work on your Mac laptop?

3. naresh498

naresh498

First Name:
    Naresh kandra
    Can you connect the ISP modem to the laptop directly with the cable and test the connection. How does it work?

4. tracyabs80

New
    WiFi works and the WiFi light on the modem is always lit. I've tried all Ethernet ports. It is a brand new modem. I've also upgraded the firmware. :) It doesn't connect over Ethernet and the internet light is not lit.

5. tracyabs80

I have used two brand-new DSL cables as I've had two brand new routers (x6200). It is a standard DSL cable going straight into the jackpoint. Is there a specific VDSL cable I could buy?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By whom (the ISP or somebody else)? How did they test it after the installation?

7. tracyabs80

I have used two brand-new DSL cables as I've had two brand new routers (x6200). It is a standard DSL cable going straight into the jackpoint. Is there a specific VDSL cable I could buy?

8. tracyabs80

The ISP hasn't tested anything. Linksys replaced the modem when they couldn't help over the phone.

9. tracyabs80

Flip broadband but the engineer didn't enter the house.

10. tracyabs80

WiFi light on the router is always lit. Tried all 4 ports. Internet light is off on the router. The Saturn light is flashing.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Seems strange. And irresponsible. Do you have one good DSL filter/splitter at the entrance or those little filter/splitters on each phone jack?

12. tracyabs80

They never tested it or entered the house.

Attached Files:

13. tracyabs80

Switched it off at the power for 10 minutes and now it is working.... probably for a few minutes.

14. tracyabs80

After switching the power off for 10 minutes it has started working. This happened yesterday too :-(

Attached Files:

15. tracyabs80

These are the settings - it is still working for now. IMG_20170509_081446.jpg IMG_20170509_081446.jpg IMG_20170509_081446.jpg IMG_20170509_081454.jpg IMG_20170509_081446.jpg IMG_20170509_081454.jpg

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice