NEW Kingston DDR incompatible or corrupt?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yahyagalely

HI!

I bought a 400mhz 256 MB DDR Kingston Ram and added it to the current PC3200 Samsung 256MB that i had already installed.

Once i installed the ram my machine kept rebooting randomly. After removing it, the machine was fine. When ever i put it in, the machine reboots randomly. Im running XP on an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with a MSI-KT4AV mobo. I Also updated by BIOS, and reformatted and reinstalled XP twice.

Is there a problem with the RAM or is there a compatability issue or something else

Thanks

Y

try it just with king in and try to swtich the rams around in differt slots also maybe look in bios were you see timings and relax them they might be set to tight for ram you bought. Or it needs more voltage to the ram.

yahyagalely

i tried shuffling the rams around, but i didnt run the kingston alone (ill chk in a while).

In the compatability list the Kingston serial ending is different from the one i have. My one ends with '3A' but on the MSI list it ends with '25'...

Also my Samsung's voltage is 2.5v and the voltage of the kingston is 2.6v. is the difference of 0.1v a problem?

Thanks alot guys, for our promt replys

Y

.1 can be a problem it wont hurt the samsung to run it at 2.7 or 2.8 i run my ram at 2.8 to make sure their stable.

yahyagalely

ok ill try increasing the voltage then. usually whats it called in the bios setup at boot?
just out of curiosity, wont the ram fry if it is continuosly run at a higher voltages? & does it increase performance?

thanks a million!!

y

You found Kingston on the chart link that I posted?? I missed it. But what I was referring to was the cpu/ buss chart and memory speed at the bottom. Athlon XP 2800+ runs at 333Mhz and MSI states that " User may try this combination, (DDR400) but MSI will not guarantee its functionality". Since your Samsung memory seems to work, I would try to match it if possible.

yahyagalely

ok.

thanks ill see if i can trade it in for a samsung or some other cheaper brand...but would you rule the voltage difference out?

thanks again

y

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online