1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new laptop and I can't connect because the box is greyed out. an easy one fo you!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thecaravanman, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thecaravanman

thecaravanman Thread Starter

Hi,

I just got my new laptop (P4 3Ghz, 512Mb, 60GB, bling bling!) and I reinstalled my own copy of windows xp over the trial version that was already on there.

All went well until I went to set up a dial up connection I went through the normal procedure and selected to put in my on settings.

The selct box for dial up connection was greyed over as was the selcetion box for broadband that requires a password.

the selection box for broadband that dosent require a password was the only one that was not greyed over.

I googled it and found this and it had a link to this . I tried both of the methods in that kb article but neither of them worked.

Does anyone have any idea of how I could make this work??

All help gratefully recieved

Thanks,
    Matt :( :confused:

2. dadkins_1

dadkins_1

What brand of laptop is it?
    I have seen Toshiba laptops install their own software that hinders XP's ability to be controlled properly(I had to remove a few of these programs to get a friend's laptop to allow Power Options to function.

3. thecaravanman

hi,

Thanks for a quick reply.

It isn't a brand laptop, this is the laptop. I do get a years warranty on it and I will contact them by email but I thought it would be quicker to get one from here ;)

Thanks,
    Matt

4. dadkins_1

dadkins_1

When you say you installed your XP over the trial of XP...to the best of my knowledge there is no trial version of XP, though I could be wrong.

Did the laptop come with recovery disks?

5. thecaravanman

Hi,

Yea he installed a 120 day win xp trial for me, I actually have this CD aswell.

The laptop only came with 2 CDs - a drivers cd and roxio CD burning.

THanks,
    matt

6. dadkins_1

dadkins_1

When you said you installed your XP over it, Microsoft is kinda stuffy about each computer having it's own copy of the OS, Is that the XP that is on your desktop?

You might have to purchase another liscence to run it on your new laptop...

7. thecaravanman

Hi,

I have fixed it, this is what helped, if anyone else has the same problem - M$ KB article .

Thanks for all your help anyway!

thecaravanman :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/191112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice