1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New laptop battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newguy007, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newguy007

Newguy007 Thread Starter

Hello I just bought a new laptop (hp)

What is the best way to charge the battery for first time use ?

Thank you!

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Without trying to sound like a smart-ass. The answer would be to plug it in and let it charge completely before starting to use it.

Other's recommend a total discharge before charging a new battery. I disagree there. But, of course, it's only my opinion and valid for laptop batteries. Only because you'll have to turn it on to discharge it first.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What does HP say?

We own two Acer netbooks. Acer gave instructions to charge the battery fully before use, disconnect from power outlet and run the netbook solely on the battery until you get the warning that it will shut down because the battery is getting low. (I ran a movie or two so I could use it continuously).
    When that happens, shut down the laptop, allow it to charge fully and again run it off the battery until the warning comes up.
    Repeat the same procedure one final time.
    In other words, run using only the battery for 3 times.

I followed the instructions and the one netbook had good battery life from August 2011 until December 2016. We purchased a new battery in March 2017.

The other Acer purchased in August 2013 still runs over 3 hours on battery. So at least 5 years of good battery use by following Acer's instructions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice