1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New laptop grinding sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crimsy, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crimsy

Crimsy Thread Starter

I've only had my laptop for 3 months, and I've had the grinding sound for maybe a month now. It's mostly when I turn it on. But it also resumes grinding at a constant pace every few seconds, it grinds for a part of a second, even as I type this. It's a very low sound, though, unlike when it starts, it's a bit louder.

I've also been having slowdown issues, as I'm sure that's relevant.

It's an HP Pavilion zt3340ea
    512 RAM
    Centrino 1.6
    60 GB

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The only part that could do that in the timeframe you have sugfgested is the cooler fan inside. I wouldn't waste time here. Since it's 3 months old, I would get it rma'ed, the company may even just take your hard drive out and put into a new one. Depends on what you got.

3. timothye

timothye

just read your slow down link .. to find check disc , do this .
    click on my computer when the window comes up . right click on your primary disc ( local disk c:) and select the tools tab .under error checking click on the button check now .. tick both boxes and click start now .. then you will get a message that it wont start until you re boot . re boot your system now . then it will conduct the check disc function and locate and fix bad sectors .
    then your system will boot up the operating system ..

4. Crimsy

Crimsy Thread Starter

Thanks.

A friend of mine with the same exact laptop tells me that this sound is normal, and that he also experiences it. Now, that has me rethinking whether or not it is, in fact, a grinding sound. It might be a buzzing sound. It sounds more like GRZZZZ......GZ......GRZZ......

So, is that a grinding sound?

5. timothye

timothye

it could very well be your fan making this sound . especially when you start up the computer ... buzzz then it gets louder and then softer once it booted up to the operating system ( desktop = then when you put a load on the computer games or running an application it starts again ?
    just a thought ., but very well could be .
    cheers

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    buzzing would be a better term for it. Most older notebooks has the sound. I'm guessing the size of the fan, plus it's in a smaller compartment so the sound may be louder than normal.

I was thinking about another post i did. When a laptop gets to a certain temperature the fan will kick in more harder to cool the machine down. It may be the same situation for you.

7. Topato

Topato

It could also be the sound of CD drive spinning up

8. timothye

timothye

yep could be .?

9. Crimsy

Crimsy Thread Starter

Well, I guess I'm relieved now. It is a buzzing sound, I imagine. After all, I'm pretty sure NOW that it's not a grinding sound, especially since I think I remember my old desktop making a ginding sound, and this sounds nothing like it.

Thanks for the help, guys :)

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) no prob

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice