Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New laptop has no storage

Solved 
2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  MisterEd51 
#1 ·
I recently bought my son this Assus laptop(?). He was not using it so I looked at it. I changed the default browser from edge to Firefox and started updating windows and everything else for him since he hadn't updated anything since he got it. A few updates were successful, and about half were not. I checked his storage and he only has 58.2 GB total space with 36.9 used. That does not seem like much. That's without any pictures, or really anything personal, saved to C:\.
Is that the reason it won't update? Is that way too little storage or am I wrong? If so, is there anything that can be done to add storage to it, or should I just write it off and get him a normal sized laptop?
Any advice will be appreciated...thank you

#2 ·
It sounds like you got one of those budget computers that does have 64GB storage space. These machines are designed for light use / storing personal files in the cloud like OneDrive. You can install an SD drive to get more storage but the Windows Update alone can fill the C: drive very quickly. I think thes machines were definitely not thought out well in terms of that.

#3 ·
It does have an SD drive. The last few times I posted questions here before there was a program you had me run that detected my computer's specs.
I would like to use that program on my son's computer so you could see what the notebook is running and tell me if it is worth trying to improve on or if we should just get a bigger one.
Oh, and I had the name wrong, it's a Asus. Is that a good brand?

#4 ·
The last few times I posted questions here before there was a program you had me run that detected my computer's specs.
I would like to use that program on my son's computer so you could see what the notebook is running and tell me if it is worth trying to improve on or if we should just get a bigger one.
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your ASUS laptop will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.
it's a Asus. Is that a good brand?
It's a matter of personal preference.
Personally, I would not purchase an ASUS laptop or desktop.

-------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200513190050.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 122 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 57 GB (21 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. E203MAS, ver 1.0, s/n L519NBCX001RF8MB
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n L5N0CX03P94520A
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#6 ·
Is your computer like this one?
ASUS VivoBook E203MA Ultra-Thin Laptop [2019 Version], Intel Celeron N4000 Processor (up to 2.6 GHz), 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC, 11.6" HD, USB-C, Windows 10 S mode (Switchable to Pro), E203MA-YS03

This computer does not have a hard drive or SSD. For storage it has a 64GB eMMC. An eMMC is a flash memory chip soldered to the motherboard.

Since we don't know exactly which computer you have we don't know if it is even possible to upgrade it for more storage.

In any event if all the storage you have is 64GB you should just barely be able to get by as long you don't download too much on it and minimize installing additional programs on it.

Since you are apparently running out of space you have two choices:
1. Try to clean up the drive to recover additional space
2. Do a factory reset

Windows 10 - How to restore the system to factory default settings?
https://www.asus.com/en/support/FAQ/1013065/

It all depends upon how much time you want to spend on this. Note that the factory reset will be the fastest and easiest option but you will lose all user data.

Also note this computer starts in Windows 10 S mode. With S mode you can only install programs from the Microsoft Store. If you want to download and install your own programs you have to switch to Windows 10 Pro instead. This menu option is a one time conversion. Once done you can't go back to Windows 10 S.

#8 ·
My grandson had a similar situation with his budget laptop. He couldn't add any more of his games. I got him a 64GB SD card which doubled his capacity. It helped, but it was still just a Band-aid on a bad judgement call by his mother to buy that in the first place.

#12 ·
In his case, the laptop has a built-in SD card slot. We don't know what model you've got, nor it's capabilities.

#13 ·
No worries! Double posting can happen. I will remove the extra one.

Does the model name Asus Vivobook E203MA sound correct? If so then there is not really much you can do in terms of upgrading as the main drive and memory are soldered onto the board so you can't upgrade them. The Micro SD slot is the slot in the middle of the left side (number #2). That will allow you to increase the storage.

Rectangle Bus Gas Font Automotive exterior

So the question is really, what is the expected use of this machine? If it's just to do email/facebook/watch youtube, then this machine can do that. Anything beyond this usage and you will need to look at a more heavy duty machine.

As a side note, ASUS in my opinion is a decent brand, but trying to find support documents can be a pain for us techs :)

#15 ·
Try to find some model details on the laptop, look underneath and on the screen bezel.

You could do a clean install of the latest version of 10, you would lose all data files and 3rd party programs though. This will work fine even with that small storage space.

Here's how to do it, you have to make a Usb stick and use that to do the install :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

#16 ·

• Condition Note
    Brand New. Windows 10 . GREAT FOR ONLINE SCHOOL AND COURSES AS WELL TRAVEL
    Risk-free Purchase and Return
    1. 30-day REFUND for returned merchandise with original carton and all packaging/accessories/materials.
    2. Please note a restock fee will be applied if the item was physical damaged, missing parts, or functional.
    Shipping Note
    (1) 1-day delivery for Florida Customers if order is placed before cut off time (11:45AM EST)
    (2) 2-day delivery for GA,AL,MS,AR, TN, NC,SC,VA, and KY if order is placed before cut off time (11:45AM EST)
    (3) 3-5 day delivery for all other states before cut off time (11:45AM EST)
  • Efficient Intel Celeron N4000 Processor (4M Cache, upto 2.6 GHz)
  • 11.6 inch HD (1366 x 768) display
  • 64GB em flash storage
  • 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
  • One year of Microsoft Office 365 included
  • HD Webcam
  • Slim and portable: 0.7 inch thin and weighs only 2.2 pounds (Battery included)
Operating SystemWindows 10 S 64-bitCPUIntel Celeron N4000 1.10 GHzScreen11.6"Memory4 GB LPDDR4 (On Board)Storage64 GB eMMCGraphics CardIntel HD GraphicsVideo MemoryShared memoryDimensions (W x D x H)11.30" x 7.60" x 0.70"Weight2.20 lbs.CPU
CPU TypeIntel CeleronCPU SpeedN4000 (1.10 GHz)Number of CoresDual-core ProcessorDisplay
Screen Size11.6"TouchscreenNoResolution1366 x 768Operating System
Operating SystemWindows 10 S 64-bitGraphics
GPU/VPUIntel HD GraphicsVideo MemoryShared system memoryGraphic TypeIntegrated CardStorage
SSD64 GB eMMCMemory
Memory4 GBMemory Spec4 GB onboardOptical Drive
Optical Drive TypeNoCommunications
WLAN802.11ac Wireless LANBluetoothBluetooth 4.1Ports
USB1 x USB 3.1-Type C (Gen1)
2 x USB 3.0HDMI1 x HDMIAudio Ports1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo JackInput Device
WebcamYesCard ReaderMicro SDGeneral
StyleThin and LightTypeEveryday ValueUsageConsumerPower
Battery38WHrs, 2S1P, 2-cell Li-ionDimensions & Weight
Dimensions (W x D x H)11.30" x 7.60" x 0.70"Weight2.20 lbs.Features
Software IncludedOffice 365 Personal 1-year

#19 · (Edited)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200513190050.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 122 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 57 GB (21 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. E203MAS, ver 1.0, s/n L519NBCX001RF8MB
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n L5N0CX03P94520A
You do have an ASUS VivoBook E203MA series 11.6" laptop - which is already discussed in post #6.
Considering the hardware it came with and the lack of upgrade options, it wasn't a very good choice for your son.

Its Windows 10 Home 64-bit operating system is about a year and a half out of date.
You should consider doing a clean install of Version 21H1 OS Build 19043 and getting it up to date.

--------------------------------------------------

#20 ·
Look for a laptop that costs around $1000. That's the mid range laptop price. Your son probably noticed that he doesn't have space to install games and that it has a weak Celeron CPU so that he can't play high graphics games. That's why he is not touching it. A mid range laptop would last 8 years barring any accidents. Kids are more tech savvy than you realize,

#21 ·
Yeah, that would be great, but...it's a little out of my price range. He says he is okay with it as it is...he's a good kid. We thank you all though, for your expertise. As I'm sure you are all well aware, we have limited knowledge in the subject of laptops, the next one we buy we will certainly be more careful! Thanks for all your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.