New Laptop Issues (audio, video, steam.exe wont start)etc..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drappy

not sure where to post this, so i hope i picked the right forum.

so i recently got a new laptop

an acer aspire v3- 575G, windows 10 , 4 GB ram which i upgraded to 8, an nvidia gt 940m, intel i5 6200U. part number (according to the website from which i bought it) is - nx.g5esi.001

i updated drivers and started installing apps, recently (about 10-12 days after getting it) the first thing i noticed was-

steam.exe has been having issues. when ever i try to start it, it says checking for updates, verifying updates and then just exits, doesn't even launch steam, even though it says its running in the task manager.
then randomly after searching online for hours and trying multiple things, it works suddenly... and then it stopped working again.. so i'm getting very annoyed and worried about this.
things I've tried is ending task in task manager and re launching, launching in other compatibility modes, launching in offline modes, disabling windows defender, uninstalling and re-installing steam multiple times, even factory resetting twice!

and the other problems ive noticed that happen WHEN all of these issues take place is i cant play any movies either in movies and tv or in VLC (it just shows an infinite loading circle), shockwave flash crashes on some pages when it happens, sometimes audio services says its not running and also notifications freeze when i click on them.

after the second factory reset, (FOR NOW), my laptop seems to have no issues every other restart, or every 3rd restart, the rest of the times though, all of these issues happen.

is there any obvious step or issue that im missing, cuz ive tried everything, updating drivers, downloading an antivirus and deleting it after it didnt help, even restarting my laptop multiple times, i just dont get whats wrong!, my old laptop, that could barely run anything and had all outdated drivers never had this issue... please! please help me

do all of these issues seem familiar? can anyone help me out! please!!

here are pictures of the shockwave and movies errors during this issue...
(not sure if they are useful)

and yes i removed all bloatware that i think possible after the factory restore didn't help

edit- i recently noticed windows defender also has issues when this happens, although i dont know if its related

http://imgur.com/a/OCkML

Xeiver-D.-Pyron

Xeiver
Banned
steam.exe has been having issues. when ever i try to start it, it says checking for updates, verifying updates and then just exits, doesn't even launch steam, even though it says its running in the task manager.
it works suddenly... and then it stopped working again..
uninstalling and re-installing steam multiple times, even factory resetting twice!
Hmm, this seems to be rather odd. I understand your frustration and will try to aide the resolution of your issue.

Considering that you have no 'bloatware' installed on your system, I would believe that your computer's resources are not in heavy use. Can you please provide me with the system usage statistics?

To access the data, open the taskmanager and open the performance tab. Once opened, you should see 'Disk' 'CPU' and others. Please screenshot/type that information out to me. I believe that your computer is having extremely high system usage for some reason.

If this is not the case, and you know it without a doubt, please inform me so I can assist you.

Thank you,
Xeiver Daniel Pyron

Network Administrator

That laptop has a hybrid video meaning it uses the Intel until it thinks it needs the NVidia's extra horsepower and then it switches to it. While it is a general rule of computing that you never, ever get drivers anyplace but the original manufacturer's support page, this is especially true with a hybrid video. They have been customized by the manufacturer to detect and facilitate the switching so, if any drivers did not come from Acer, you may have real issues!
You'll have to type in the V3-575G; but, go here and install both of the video drivers listed (NVidia and Intel): http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
You might also consider the BIOS updates as they can affect hybrid switching, too.

drappy

Hmm, this seems to be rather odd. I understand your frustration and will try to aide the resolution of your issue.

Considering that you have no 'bloatware' installed on your system, I would believe that your computer's resources are not in heavy use. Can you please provide me with the system usage statistics?

To access the data, open the taskmanager and open the performance tab. Once opened, you should see 'Disk' 'CPU' and others. Please screenshot/type that information out to me. I believe that your computer is having extremely high system usage for some reason.

If this is not the case, and you know it without a doubt, please inform me so I can assist you.

Thank you,
Xeiver Daniel Pyron

Network Administrator
wow.. i never noticed this, its around 90-100% in this picture, but im not sure if thats always the case, also in the picture was when it was working, after a restart it would probably cause the issues again.

around 2 minutes after clicking that pic, i checked again and this was what i saw, (screenshot 2) so maybe that was just startup lag? launching the programs?, ill try to see what its like when the errors happen, will keep you informed

edit- i seem to have 90-100% disk usage after a restart for around 1-2 minutes, then it goes back to 5-6% usage

Attachments

Last edited:

drappy

That laptop has a hybrid video meaning it uses the Intel until it thinks it needs the NVidia's extra horsepower and then it switches to it. While it is a general rule of computing that you never, ever get drivers anyplace but the original manufacturer's support page, this is especially true with a hybrid video. They have been customized by the manufacturer to detect and facilitate the switching so, if any drivers did not come from Acer, you may have real issues!
You'll have to type in the V3-575G; but, go here and install both of the video drivers listed (NVidia and Intel): http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
You might also consider the BIOS updates as they can affect hybrid switching, too.
i have downloaded the drivers through device manager and the nvidia driver from nvidia geforce experience, ill try updating/downgrading the drivers and BIOS version to that of the website, except the nvidia driver as i think i need to have that updated for my games, should i try that and get back to you?

Last edited:
The 90-100% disk usage for a few minutes after booting is normal. Its either Windows Defender checking things out or Windows Update verifying you don't need any updates. I see both, all the time.
While it is a general rule of computing that you never, ever get drivers anyplace but the original manufacturer's support page, this is especially true with a hybrid video.
You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen the wrong drivers mess things up with audio, video, and network drivers leading the parade. Microsoft isn't immune from pushing the wrong thing either. Heck an optional update for my network chip killed all of my networking a few years ago and many, many folks are having fits with the Windows 10 touchpad drivers that were pushed out by Microsoft.
I'd get rid of Driver Booster (its in your first task manager pic) and use nothing but the Acer drivers until I saw it all working OK.

drappy

The 90-100% disk usage for a few minutes after booting is normal. Its either Windows Defender checking things out or Windows Update verifying you don't need any updates. I see both, all the time.
While it is a general rule of computing that you never, ever get drivers anyplace but the original manufacturer's support page, this is especially true with a hybrid video.
You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen the wrong drivers mess things up with audio, video, and network drivers leading the parade. Microsoft isn't immune from pushing the wrong thing either. Heck an optional update for my network chip killed all of my networking a few years ago and many, many folks are having fits with the Windows 10 touchpad drivers that were pushed out by Microsoft.
I'd get rid of Driver Booster (its in your first task manager pic) and use nothing but the Acer drivers until I saw it all working OK.
yep im currently updating all the drivers except the nvidia one from the site you mentioned, and im using driver booster to see if it downgrades correctly (it says outdated on driver booster so i know it worked) i dont use it to update the drivers :) thanks, ill let you know if after updating/ downgrading them all if the issues are resolved, thanks!
downgrading them wont cause any issues will it? like for example the SATA AHCI, turbo boost, realtek lan driver and a few others needed to be downgraded, and BIOS and a few others needed to be upgraded.

Last edited:

drappy

okay after the drivers updated, i restarted and idk if this is just my bad luck or if the driver updates/downgrades made it worse but i saw the audio service error again (havent seen that in a while) and the other issues as usual (screenshot 3)
so i restarted and again the issues were there, (screenshot 4)
and again restarted, and again the issues were there (screenshot 5)
and finally on the 4th restart it worked.. (screenshot 6)\

so idk if that was just me being unlucky? (cuz usually it might take 1-2 restarts or sometimes 2 restarts in a row dont have issues, it varies alot i guess.)

EDIT -- i think im gonna go back to a restore point i made before the updates, because now even when it works, after a few minutes videos again wont play and team wont launch

Attachments

Last edited:

valis

so i recently got a new laptop

an acer aspire v3- 575G, windows 10 , 4 GB ram which i upgraded to 8
Just as an fyi, Acer does not offer Windows 8 drivers for that model; only 10. That could be part of the issue as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online