1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New laptop, should i use vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hollowminds, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hollowminds

Hollowminds Thread Starter

Hello there Tech Support Guy Forums, im planning on buying a laptop/notebook so i can work at places other then home however i also might play the occasional game i buy.

Ive seen some more bad comments about vista then good but from what i saw it was allright, i havent used it alot and ive used XP for most of the time ive used computers properly, the specs for the computer im thinking about purchasing is the

Toshiba A300/V01

• Processor: Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz
    • RAM: 4096MB DDR2
    • Hard Drive: 640GB
    • Disk Drive: DVD Dual Layer Writer
    • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB
    • Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium

• Networking: Intergrated 10/100
    • Connectivity: USB 2.0
    its pretty expensive for me so i want to get some good opinions, i dont want to waste my money on something that cant do what i want it to.

Thanks a ton
    -Hollow

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Nice laptop! Shame about the OS though! Vista I think is excellent but maybe not the 'Home Premium' version. Though you could allways dual boot it with XP pro. Before thinking of dual booting or downgrading, make sure all the drivers for the model are available.

Next ..... ?

3. Hollowminds

Ah so 'Home Premium' is no good? damn. Since thats the one it comes with, whats its big downsides?

Since the store im getting this from is in a nearby city i cant really check that out without a one and a half hour trip.

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Well I suppose ther are not any major downsides to Home Premium apart from lack of Business networking support. You also do not get any of the Ultimate extras like dreamscene etc, but thats not the end of the world.

Check this out! http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

If you did decide to go with the mentioned laptop then you could allways upgrade in the future.

5. Hollowminds

True, and i dont care if a few Business applications are missing, by work i mean photoshop and flash it not using it for any serious employment yet.
    Im still a student so as you said its not the end of the world. I was on that link a minute ago to see the differences and they dont seem too major.

My main concern is will it run fast and effectively with the laptops specs, personally from whats there it seems like the computer would run brilliantly, but ive heard about vista's apparent ugly side.

Also will it be allright for the occasional game?

Thanks heaps Everway9 youve boosted my confidence about it.

6. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    The mentioned laptop looks as though it should run Vista without breaking out into a sweat! As for gaming, I have used my PC (P4 3.00 HT, 2GB-DDR-400, 2 x 250GB SATA HDD's, Radeon 9800XT) for many games, most over 2 years old and have never had any issues. I have heard of a few programs that will not run or have compatability issues but these in my experiance (which is not huge but big enough) seem to be few and far between.

Put it this way. If I could afford it I'd buy it!

P.S. You may need some modified drivers from Laptop2go's website for the Radeon HD3650 to get games running as best as possible.

7. Hollowminds

Oh ok, thank you very much it looks like ill buy it next time im in the city.
    i appreciate your help!

8. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Hope all goes ok for you! Happy computing!

P.S. Don't just take my word for it though, maybe wait untill someone else posts. That way you might get an unanimous verdict.

9. Hollowminds

Yah i have a few days till i either buy it or i dont, but it sounds ok for now
    i will wait around to se if anyone says anything though.

10. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

That basically looks like a mid-range modern desktop packed into a laptop, it should do everything passable enough to be happy about 'cept maybe battery life and portability if you have to constantly bring it with you.

11. WEBBIT

WEBBIT

specs do look good to me, especially 4 gig of ram for me a minimum 2 gig of ram, ok vista has had its problems, but keep the maintenece up like defra, i use free smart defragger which has an optimize setting also and have been working ok with vista for over a year with no re install

12. Antiapplekid

Antiapplekid

Nice laptop I'm using home premium but you mentioned that you might want to work for diffrent locations so Im not sure if you want to hook to your work computer if you do I reccommend getting Vista Business edition go to this link to compare the diffrent versions

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice