1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New laptop suggestion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r_khan, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r_khan

r_khan Thread Starter

Hello. I have a dell inspiron 600m. I am going to sell it overseas and will buy another laptop when i get back to the US.

My plan is to sell my current laptop without the HDD (80GB). That way i can take the HDD with me and won't loose my stuff and whoever buys my laptop here can put in any size HDD they want, provided it fits into the slot.

I have a few questions.

1) laptops now all come with vista. I dont want vista. Can i revert it back to windows xp professional or home? I have a genuine xp cd at home in the US

2) I have an enclosure in the US for my HDD of my current laptop. I can basically copy everything from my OLD HDD and transfer it to my NEW HDD once i buy my computer right...via usb?

What laptop do you reccomend? I dont want something that pricey, but with a good graphics card. My current laptop has a sucky graphics card (32 MB ATI Monbility 9000) and the HDD space is barley anything (only 80GB). I am leaning towards an Acer. I had a compaq desktop before and it had sooo many problems and now since compaq and Hp are the same comapny, i want to stay away from an HP. i have friends that had problems with their HP laptops recently as well. Toshiba is overrated and overrpriced, same goes for sony. Gateway sucks as does e-machines.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. sup2a

sup2a

well as for XP you certainly can, as long as you have the key on the sticker., you may want to deal with the store person when you do go to buy one and try to get a deal out of them if they drop Vista from the laptop.

HP are overpriced junk... at least they are as a desktop and printers.... you may just want to do some research yourself for a while as we cant really know exactly what you want. Make sure if you want decent video that you get a good brand of card, i also read an article recently on Bloatware may be worth researching that too,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice