1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New laptop SUPER slow

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Melt74, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Melt74

Melt74 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16264 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (193 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X556UAK
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled

Just bought this laptop and it is unbelievably slow. Windows update is stuck at 18% and then gives an error "something went wrong" and starts all over again. I can't log into web based email, I can't update Adobe Flash, I can't log into my ISP's security site to download/install my security suite. (I uninstalled McAfee in order to download my security suite). Google comes up and search results come up (it is slow, but it does eventually come up), but when I click a link to a web page it just come up a blank screen.

My old laptop (i3, 6gb ram) connects just fine...so I don't believe it is my connection.

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

As its so new, it maybe worth taking it back for a replacement

is windows update in a loop , if so , how do you stop it to do the other things you mentioned ?

4. Melt74

Melt74 Thread Starter

Windows update gets to 18% and stops and I get the "something went wrong" message. I cancel it and continue trying to figure out what is going on. If I select retry, it starts back at 0%.

I'm thinking there is a setting that is off somewhere. I am going to go and try it from a different internet connection and see if there is any improvement.

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

whats the make and model of the machine
    you could do a factory reset
    and then start again
    Dont load any programs , let windows 10 defender be the security or if trialware on the pc leave that
    and then do a windows update first

6. Melt74

Melt74 Thread Starter

It is an Asus X556UAK

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

8. Melt74

Melt74 Thread Starter

reset and now at a public wifi to download windows update. My home connection is slow....it is a little faster here and web pages are loading....still a little slow....but I assume because of the updates it is using bandwidth. So perhaps if I get the updates done....when I return home, I am hoping the web pages will continue to load.

9. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

the update may be a large one, i have seen machines in last few weeks, that still had not had the 2016 anniversary update

use speedtest.net to compare this pc - when its not downloading anything
    and you other pc
    should have about the same download . upload speed

if not , we can check the asus has the latest driver for the wireless adapter

10. Melt74

Melt74 Thread Starter

Update got to 63% and I got the "oops something went wrong" error again. I contacted Microsoft and the tech took control of my pc and started the update directly from the Microsoft page. I couldn't wait at the public wifi spot any longer so I started the download and paused it. It is now at 12%....but ie/edge running at a good speed. I wonder if removing McAfee caused the issues?? I am even running my son's browser game and response is quick....no noticible lag.

11. simr

simr

12. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

ASUS X556UAK

It's usually a good idea to get the Windows operating system up-to-date before you start installing a bunch of apps.
    Something you installed or having running in the background in your laptop may be interfering with the update process.

BIOS version 307 was released on 03/16/2017 to optimize performance.
    What BIOS version does your laptop have?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187157