1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Laptop w/unexpected crash - worrisome?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mishte, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mishte

mishte Thread Starter

My laptop is about a month old, and I haven't used it that much, maybe 20-30 hours total, if that.

In the last 2 days I've gotten 2 error message boxes saying that my TrueVector service isn't working. I restart and ZoneAlarm is fully functional again. Don't know if this is related or not.

I was using it today, just photoshop 6 and accessing the web (I use a lan cable to connect, not wireless) and I got a full screen error message that didn't stay up long enough to read other than the words "crash dump".

I looked into the Event Viewer, and at about the time of the crash, and it looks like it was Event ID 6008, which I looked up and have no idea what it means, and I'm confused because it seems to be server related.

I did notice that in the hour before the crash photoshop got a little sluggy, which I figured was just history build up or something.

I'd like to have a better idea about what the crash meant, if I should be concerned and most importantly - if there is anything I ought to do that I don't know about.

I am not tech savvy whatsoever, which is a pain.

Thanks!

mishte
    -----------------------------------------
    Computer: vostro 1500
    Processor: C2D T7500 2.20GHz,
    Operating System: Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Memory: 2G RAM
    HD: 160G HD
    File System: NTFS
    Optical: DVD +/-RW
    Display: WSXGA+ TrueLife,
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do you have the newest ZA version with patch for Vista? I also wonder about Photoshop 6 as I saw some issues with 7,0 for which there is also a patch. I would check Adobe site to see if there are any updates for your Photoshop program for Vista,

3. mishte

mishte Thread Starter

Thanks for replying - I did install the latest (vista compatible) version of ZA. I will check Adobe re PS6, too. I was a little surprised it installed and worked seamlessly (so far - unless it caused the crash, that is). I have CS2 but I have read that doesn't work with the 32 bit version of Vista. I'm reluctant to install it anyway because when I used it with XP it was intolerably slow (supposedly I had enough memory for it, but...). Its a HUGE behemoth. I have heard that there were PS7 problems too, but I wouldn't know - my PS7 cd is damaged.

I am not used to Vista. I wish there was an XP to Vista "translation" dictionary somewhere. I have been exploring my device manager and I can't for the life of me figure out why there is so much listed when I don't have 3 mice/2 keyboards, etc. installed. But I'll learn.

Thanks again. I will double check your suggestions now. UPDATED: No updates for PS6. Yes, I have the latest version of ZA (7.1.248) but I just realized I haven't updated Vista with SP 1. I've read many problems after installing it, so I'm a little tentative. Perhaps I ought to do it.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't think installing SP1 wold hurt anything.

5. mishte

mishte Thread Starter

Re: SP1 - I hope not! <g>

I just got my fourth BSOD in the last 24 hours, and copied down the error info from 2 of them (which doesn't give me, personally, any useful information to lead me to the next step:

ERROR DETAILS 01:
    Problem signature:
    Problem event name: Blue Screen
    OS version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

OTHER INFORMATION
    BCCode: a
    BCP1 01C8B000
    BCP2 00000002
    BCP3 00000000
    BCP4 81C83653
    OS Version 6_0_6_6000
    Service Pack 0_0
    Product 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041108-02.dmp
    C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-47393-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE3A9.tmp.version.txt

ERROR DETAILS 02:
    Problem Event Name: Blue Screen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

ADDITIONAL INFO:
    BPCode: 9f
    BCP1: 00000003
    BCP2: 845D4B98
    BCP3: 85D8E3D0
    BCP4: 84F98B50
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

FILES THAT DESCRIBE THE PROBLEM
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041308-01.dmp
    C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29605838-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\WERF80D.tmp.version.txt

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!